Suggested first engines

AllenV

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I feel like I have a 4-stroke internal combustion engine (ICE) build in my future. But I have never made anything so complex. The question is, “what makes for a good first engine build?”

Searching this forum for an in-depth discussion of what designs are good “first engines” has not hit pay dirt. Thus, I am starting this thread.

For my part, I have a decent collection of tools at my disposal and a few decades of experience doing little projects ranging from reasonably precise simple items to get-er-done stuff to scrap. But nothing with more than a few interconnected precision parts. My machining skills have improved markedly since I retired a few years ago, many thanks to this forum. Headlining the tool list is an Enco13x40 lathe and a PM-833 mill. Key available accessories are a rotary table and an indexing head (missing foot!!). Both of these were last used in my Dad’s shop when I was a teenager 40+ years ago and need some TLC.

Past hobbies have included building and flying RC planes. So I have purchased, run, and crashed single cylinder glow-plug engines. Both 2- and 4-stroke. I can say from experience that the engines are far more durable than the planes! I don’t intend to fly any more. This proposed engine(s) build is for enjoyment of the build. Oh, and I am just finishing restoration of a 1955 Ford Y-Block V8. The truck itself is a work in progress.

I’ll admit to an ICE engine bias. That may skew things a bit. On the other hand, if a particular engine is just the perfect starter project that will use the skills I have and encourage me to learn new skills, then, let’s hear it.

What interests you, other than being a straightforward build? Do you like flat heads, or OHV, or even cooler yet, rotary port valves? Do you like fast engines, or quieter, steady running machines? What kind of fuel? Single or multi piston? Inline, opposing, or radial? For me, it's easy to find direction once the fascination bites. I like the traditional stuff, but I'm particularly fond of unusual solutions- like rotating valves.

You mention RC... which could be an engine that is used, rather than another shelf charm. I'm also big on building things that I can employ, instead of static models. You probably won't win any pylon races with your first one, but you could certainly build a flyer, and that would be doubly rewarding.

The best I can think of to respond is to detail the immediate past events that led to this post.

I have been pondering some new project that wasn't fixing something, improving an existing tool, or working on the Ford restoration. Those types of things seem to find me just fine. I stumbled across this engine.

which just impressed me as being very cool and reminiscent of my favorite RC motor, the SAITO 88 AAC. That is a 4-cycle single cyl glow-plug engine. It has loads of torque and a sweet sound when my plane cruised past. That Howell v-twin just takes it to the next level with electronic ignition, etc.

Now, I don't know Howell engine plans/designs from a hole in the ground. It just sort popped up. But it does focus my thinking to a long-term goal of an engine like that, if not that very one. It is also abundantly clear that a V-twin OHV is a very complex build. Perhaps not the wisest move to just launch into that engine. There must be an appropriate "stepping stone" engine that moves my skill and experience in that direction with less risk of becoming some sort of Sisyphean task. Maybe a single cylinder glow plug design? Maybe steam is the perfect tutorial project? Then I realized I have no idea which designs , of any sort, people are building successfully. As a first engine I'd like to do something popular with hobbyists such that tapping into that knowledge pool is easy.

I'll reiterate that I have no plans to fly this motor. In the unlikely event that I start flying again I'll resurrect engines from my collection. It is all about the build. And this first build is as much about bumping up my skill set as it is the result.

Howell's "Bill" engine looks like a good starter, where you can learn the kinks of fitting the parts. I like its single pushrod, I really don't know how it works, they only provide pictures. Seems like a very lathe-heavy project, which I like. The intake tube is too long to support liquid fuel, so this model runs on propane. I'm curious about how the head works on a single pushrod. It also appears to be water cooled.

Bill-1.jpgBill-2.jpg

My first engine was based on Dave Kerzel's hit miss engine plans. Do a search . They are easy to find. I didn't follow them exactly and I used an electronic ignition module from Stirlingkit.com.

Howell's "Bill" engine looks like a good starter, where you can learn the kinks of fitting the parts. I like its single pushrod, I really don't know how it works, they only provide pictures. Seems like a very lathe-heavy project, which I like. The intake tube is too long to support liquid fuel, so this model runs on propane. I'm curious about how the head works on a single pushrod. It also appears to be water cooled.

View attachment 461349View attachment 461350
Probably opened by atmospheric pressure, same as most hit and miss engines. Neat design.
I probably should have taken on a simpler engine to start, the Holt will eventually run but a huge first endeavour.

Greg

Probably opened by atmospheric pressure, same as most hit and miss engines. Neat design.
I probably should have taken on a simpler engine to start, the Holt will eventually run but a huge first endeavour.

Greg
Thanks, Greg. Now that you say it, it's really obvious. Like a reed valve or diaphragm valve, it's function is demand-based. Elegant, if you ask me!

I'm back. This is great input.

The "Bill" looks like a nice project. It is all billet materials. Cast iron sleeve around an aluminum piston. I see a gear and there must be cam in there that needs cutting.

The Kerzel hit-or-miss also looks like a good project. It clearly requires more mill involvement. I have been looking for the Kerzel plans with no success. Just left a note on the Home Model Engine Machinists forum asking for a link that actually works.

Of course, once the Kerzel made the list the Howell "Farm Boy" became a candidate.

I am going to down load the "Bill" plans for some light reading.

AA

Last edited:
I'm back. This is great input.

The "Bill" looks like a nice project. It is all billet materials. Cast iron sleeve around an aluminum piston. I see a gear and there must be cam in there that needs cutting.

The Kerzel hit-or-miss also looks like a good project. It clearly requires more mill involvement. I have been looking for the Kerzel plans with no success. Just left a note on the Home Model Engine Machinists forum asking for a link that actually works.

Of course, once the Kerzel made the list the Howell "Farm Boy" became a candidate.

I am going to down load the "Bill" plans for some light reading.
I found a copy of the Kerzel plans that I had downloaded. That and his notes. Thought I had downloaded it from his website, but I have no idea where that is anymore. Perhaps you can try searching for "Horizontal Hit and Miss 1". I just did, and everything leads to a dead end.

Well, I found a download at https://pdf4pro.com/download/hhm1-00-complete-engine-dwg-model-1-131920.html I don't ordinarily like websites like this, but that's the only source I could find that worked. It seems to match up with the two files I have. Hope this helped. The floridaame.org website that used to host some of the Kerzel files is no longer responding.

Back