Sudden Increase in Spindle Bearing Oil Consumption

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In the last week, the rear spindle bearing on my Heavy 10L has suddenly become thirsty for oil. I also note that when I first add oil, the level will drop quickly before it settles and the cup fills. I'm suspecting a felt failure (I've never replaced them), but not being familiar with the passages I don't know if there might be another explanation. Thoughts?

I don't know which style head stock bearings you're dealing with... One of mine has the expanders and one does not (older machine). Neither of them has felts that retains the oil on the ends of the bearings. With the one with expanders, there is a groove on each end that allows the oil to return to the reservoir via a small hole. Maybe one of the holes is plugged?

If yours does have expanders, make sure you remove the bearing cap and expanders correctly or you can ruin things pretty quickly.

Ted

Any leakage marks showing where it might be going?
In the last week, the rear spindle bearing on my Heavy 10L has suddenly become thirsty for oil. I also note that when I first add oil, the level will drop quickly before it settles and the cup fills. I'm suspecting a felt failure (I've never replaced them), but not being familiar with the passages I don't know if there might be another explanation. Thoughts?

Well, if it is really increasing, then it isn't the felts. The felts wick the oil TO the spindle. If they fail, your oil consumption will go to zero. Make sure your air vents are clear - a clogged vent could cause the oil to be pulled out.

Also, FIND OUT where the oil is going. There is no place in the head stock for it to go, so you should be able to find tell-tale trails of where it is going.

The oil appears to be draining down into the chip pan, but it's a little hard to tell. The amount is not great, just noticeably more than before. A couple of hours of use will cause the oiler to drop to about 1/3 full. When I refill it, the first refill will drain down, then the level will stabilize and I can fill. It doesn't drain when not running.

Last edited:
I want to know where all that oil you're putting into is going... :cool:
The oil appears to be draining down into the chip pan, but it's a little hard to tell. The amount is not great, just noticeably more than before. A couple of hours of use will cause the oiler to drop to about 1/3 full. When I refill it, the first refill will drain down, then the level will stabilize and I can fill. It doesn't drain when not running.

Make sure your air vent isn't clogged.

Good point and definitely a thing to check. It's the small hole right below the split between the top and bottom section of the head stock bearing.

This is, of course, it your lathe is the vintage that has the expanders and spring loaded wicks that feed from a reservoir...

Ted

IMG_20200207_071508.jpg

Back