[stupid] go/no-go wrench

FliesLikeABrick

Wastestream salvage addict
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The flange nuts in my strap clamp set are 3/8" UNC with a 11/16" drive hex, while all the other fixturing stuff in my shop is basically 9/16. As a result I keep a dedicated cheap wrench from my "sacrificial/salvaged tools" drawer at the mill.

It has 5/8 box on the other side which on occasion is handy too, but this means it's like a USB-A plug - I have to flip it in my hand twice before I get the end I want every time I pick it up.

Today I spent 5 minutes solving that, I give you the go/no-go wrench.

I used what I have on hand:
Rustoleum light gray high-build primer. I wanted to use white to help the colors pop a bit more but the brand new can I had on the shelf was clogged *grumble*
Rustoleum Cherry red gloss enamel, I bought this when I wanted a bright red for something else
Rustoleum Hunter Green gloss enamel, same idea but I was concerned how dark the cap was. It came out nice and bright since it was on a consistent primed substrate

The latter 2 cans have this "5-in-1 nozzle" thing that so far has been nice to use, I wonder how long until it clogs and I waste the can though. I'd like to use HVLP for more stuff but it's totally impractical for tiny one-offs like this.

IMG_20240226_143813063.jpg
IMG_20240226_162156676.jpg
IMG_20240226_162402117_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240226_162411553_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240226_162424463_HDR.jpg

Thanks for reading (about my stupid little thing)

You don't have to use the 11/16" OD nuts for your clamps. They are considered H2 extreme duty nuts and are usually 20% stronger than standard 9/16" OD nuts. You can change them out for 3/8-16 grade 8 nuts with a 9/16" OD if you need the strength. If you need the larger nuts to span the gap you can place oversized washers under the nuts. Oversize 3/8" ID washers come in sizes from 3/4" OD and .140" thick to 3.00" OD and .080" thick. McMaster carries several sizes.

Last edited:
As long as you do not do what I would do, and forget what color end I’m supposed to have in my hand.

I did something along the same lines with Allen wrenches. I made a holder for a set of them by just drilling holes in a scrap alum part. But then I colored a different spot by each size a different paint marker. Think I had 3 different colors. Then I used the same color on the mill holders that used the Allens so I always get the right one the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flange nuts in my strap clamp set are 3/8" UNC with a 11/16" drive hex, while all the other fixturing stuff in my shop is basically 9/16. As a result I keep a dedicated cheap wrench from my "sacrificial/salvaged tools" drawer at the mill.

It has 5/8 box on the other side which on occasion is handy too, but this means it's like a USB-A plug - I have to flip it in my hand twice before I get the end I want every time I pick it up.

Today I spent 5 minutes solving that, I give you the go/no-go wrench.

I used what I have on hand:
Rustoleum light gray high-build primer. I wanted to use white to help the colors pop a bit more but the brand new can I had on the shelf was clogged *grumble*
Rustoleum Cherry red gloss enamel, I bought this when I wanted a bright red for something else
Rustoleum Hunter Green gloss enamel, same idea but I was concerned how dark the cap was. It came out nice and bright since it was on a consistent primed substrate

The latter 2 cans have this "5-in-1 nozzle" thing that so far has been nice to use, I wonder how long until it clogs and I waste the can though. I'd like to use HVLP for more stuff but it's totally impractical for tiny one-offs like this.

View attachment 480249
View attachment 480250
View attachment 480251
View attachment 480252
View attachment 480253

Thanks for reading (about my stupid little thing)
I painted the wrench for my Southbend lathe tailstock and QCTP nuts. same reason, I got tired of flipping it. I had already cut one apart, but the one I painted fit better and was offset like yours.

I just went over to the metrology lab and had my 'micrometer eye' calibrated and, viola!!... no more problem.....:grin:

Last edited:
Back