Stuck Quill on my mill

Mike23

Registered
Registered
Hi. I have a SB mill that seems to be more like a Millrite than a BP. I don't know if anyone has run into this before. I have been pulling my equipment out of storage and getting it set up again. My SB vertical mill was a little tight in the quill at first when I started it up, but now its just plain seized. Won't go up or down. Has anyone dealt with this before?? Mike

Sounds like it may be galled in the housing, but try some penetrating oil.

Thanks Ben, Thats probably a good idea. I've been hitting it every few hours. Seems like it wants to move, but fights me the whole way. Ide like ot take it apart, but there's no getting it out right now. Mike

As it turns out the lock was binding and not releasing the quill properly. Good call... The quill in its own right is gummed up. I finally got it out with a lot of penetrant and a dead blow hammer. Tearing it all down today and soaking it in mineral spirits to get it cleaned up. What a mess.

I do have that nut, but it poped right back when I tapped it. It was definitely seized from too much sitting. I still have it soaking, so we'll see how it goes back together.

Not being there and looking and the picture, if the read nut can go out the back, unscrew the lock bolt and screw in a longer screw and tap it out the back with a dead blow hammer. Then use a brass punch and tape out the front one from the back. I have also in other applications, tapped the front clearance hole and used a slide hammer. be careful not to ding it up.

Not being there and looking and the picture, if the read nut can go out the back, unscrew the lock bolt and screw in a longer screw and tap it out the back with a dead blow hammer. Then use a brass punch and tape out the front one from the back. I have also in other applications, tapped the front clearance hole and used a slide hammer. be careful not to ding it up.
Just wanted to thank you guys for pipping up. Quill is going back together right now. Looks much better and seems to have freed up. Ha dot tear my knee out as well. It was just bunding too much. I think 20 years of sitting in my back shed just fouled everything up. But at least I got it off with a engine hoist.

Back