Strange R8 Collet Problem.

rdsii64,

I've been eyeballing a LMS mini mill, just haven't pulled the trigger, yet. So, this thread has been very informative for me. I already knew from experience that LMS customer service is top notch, but have gleaned some valuable knowledge about collets/spindles/keys/keyways without the inconvenience that you have experienced. Thanks for posting and thanks to those who reponded.

Tom
When I got up today, I went to put gas in my wifes car and when I got back home, my mill head was delivered. When I get home I'll get it back on my mill and will report back.

When I got home form work today. I unboxed my mill head, put it back on my mill. After I put the motor and drive belt back on I reach for my 5/16 R8 collet.
Low and behold, my collets now go in and out as easily as they are supposed to. A quarter turn of the draw bar, a light tap, then loosen the draw bar the rest of the way by hand and the collet slips right out. From the time I dropped off at the postal annex to the time it was back on my door step was less than three days.
Once again all is right with the world.

Back