Strange Mill

jmcghee

Registered
Registered
Hey guys-
I recently picked this mill up, and can't seem to find one quite like it. It has a strange head setup (no round ram or motor) and the motor is in the base with a kind of driveshaft system that comes up through the column. Obviously someone painted the whole thing at some point, but nothing about the head setup appears homemade to me. Anyone ever seen something like this?

image.jpg image.jpg

Nice looking mill. Is there a name or numbers on it anywhere?

Yeah, it's a Clausing mill, just different from the 85xx's I've seen. It says Clausing on the column, but it's a part of the casting rather than a riveted-on tag. It's similar to the Johansson column I suppose. Unfortunately the tag on the column and on the head are both missing.

Good find, looks like a durable compact machine .

It looks very much like my clausing 8520 that name was cast in the column on it. a serial number tag was on the column face, i'd say its a variant of an 85??

Shes gorgeous!
Is that snow?
She doesn't look rusty.
I hope you are taking her home!

Daryl
MN

Yep it lives here now, it's just not in a place where I can get any pics of it. These are the ones the seller sent me originally. That is snow in the photos... he moved it in a horse trailer, and it sat outside for a few days. Everything seems to be in great shape minus the paintjob (it's a lot more "electric blue" in real life). I'll post some pics of the motor setup when I get in to it... it has some kind of lever operated brake that's a part of the motor assembly.

P.S. The seller has a horizontal Clausing with a decent amount of tooling for sale cheap too if anyone's interested... I believe he said ~$400 for all of it.

P.S. The seller has a horizontal Clausing with a decent amount of tooling for sale cheap too if anyone's interested... I believe he said ~$400 for all of it.

would that be an 8540? I drug one of those home several yrs back. It needs a bunch of work, and its 440 v 3Ph, I might live to regret dragging that home.

would that be an 8540? I drug one of those home several yrs back. It needs a bunch of work, and its 440 v 3Ph, I might live to regret dragging that home.

I'm guessing? I didn't check to see the taper because I wasn't interested in it. Seemed to be in decent shape though

Back