Storage of lathe tools

coal miner

Registered
Registered
After some gentle reminders from all-thumbz about member contributions , here is one about storage of all those most used tools and the related stuff that ends up stacked up where it's a chore to find and sometimes downright dangerous . I've got a Jet 14x40 w/ a flat top that always was stacked full . It seems if I get a flat spot it gets stacked full , a never ending problem for me . I just need to be more neat <<< Nothing real hi-tech , just some Al flat stock bolted together .

IMG_0046.jpg

I had made a storage rack for the QCTP holders , but had lots of other kinds of things that found its way to lathe top and could fall off into the spinning chuck and also made them hard to find . Made another storage rack that bolted to the splashback along with the tool holders .

IMG_0043-1.jpg

IMG_0040-2.jpg

Now everything has its place . LOL , but I still can't find it . I guess I blame it on CRS .

Hey Coal Miner,
That is a nice set up, what about vibration and rattling? It seems like a great potential source of distracting noise brought on by harmonics or an out of balance situation.

Randy

Thanks for the compliment Ron . Like I said nothing special , but it does make a good storage solution and I can tell what my QCTP holders have in them at a glance .

Randy , I've not had a problem w/ vibration are out of balance , except when using a faceplate on an odd shaped piece that was'nt properly counter weighted . This lathe is similar to all the other generics that look like it . Cast iron base with 11 ga backsplash and chip pan . Weighs about 2000# so it's pretty solid .

IMG_0037.jpg

Not the best place to store all your tools, reaching over that spinning lathe to grab a tool is like asking for an accident.

PJ Ritz

Coal Miner

Nice work and looks like a good place to store your tooling. I just went to look at my lathe, as I have been trying to do something similar, but my DRO cables would get in the way. Dang, and nope not willing to get rid of the DRO!

PJ

I really did not see any tools in that rack that would be changed or grabbed while the lathe is spinning, except maybe a file. I would never change a chuck or a tool holder with the lathe spinning, that would be more disasterous than reaching over the whirling work to get them. So as long as whoever uses that system shuts down first, then changes set ups, it would work really well.

Walter

Darn just reminded me I was going to build a back splash for my crapsman 12" now I yet another excuse to do it.( I have been putting the tool in the shelf under the lathe), after lubing it this week and seeing the fresh oil and grease streaks on the white wall, I guess its time has come :tired:

Lots of good storage solutions presented here . The Sears roller cabinet setting next to the lathe is full and the Gerstner is full of measuring stuff , can't ever have enough . Have a 13 drawer HF 42" roller for the mill that keeps getting fuller . I guess I will have to stop buying or making this stuff sometime , thank goodness the wife the wife has more goodies in her art studio than I do . ;)

Here's my throne on the mill .The HF roller was bought w/ a 20% off and was cheap , very comparable to Sears , Waterloo , etc . Decent quality for the money .The roller on the other side has most of the clamping fixtures on it . Hi- tech chip shields , cheap also .

IMG_0060-1.jpg

IMG_0061-1.jpg

IMG_0060-1.jpg

IMG_0061-1.jpg

IMG_0060-1.jpg

IMG_0061-1.jpg

Back