Stones for sharpening HSS cutting tools? edit, I have brazed carbide boring bars

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
I have no way to sharpen any of my tooling. Is there a stone that is commonly used for that?
thx
edit,
i'm using brazed boring bars on my mill and i want to keep them sharp.

Last edited:
I started out using stones but quickly found I liked diamond hones better. I find they cut faster and with better control on the smaller edges (for me, anyway). I use these, but I think there are a number of similar products to choose from if you poke around a bit.

1662692371320.png

I just use a Norton Carborumdum (India) dual grit stone for honing. For fast material removal, I use a cheap set of HF diamond stones.

The question is which brazed boring bars? If you have these,

1662732159527.png

you're going to need a green wheel (silicon carbide) on a bench grinder.

I know it can be expensive, but the Baldor type of bench carbide grinder is the best way to go. I say Baldor type because there are knockoffs out there notably Central Tool/Harbor Freight that can be picked up for way cheaper. I found one on CL with a green wheel (which they came with) and a fine diamond wheel on the other side for $130. It works wonderful and I use it for all my brazed bits and HSS lathe bits.

None of my brazed boring bars were really sharp. This got them razor sharp and leaving nice finishes.

So, which do you want to know about? HSS or carbide sharpening? They both require very different approaches.

I think it really depends on what you want to do. Sharpening or honing a cutter is different from re-shaping it. A lot of the cheap brazed carbide tools are so bad that they require substantial work beyond simple honing. That's been my experience anyway.

I think it really depends on what you want to do. Sharpening or honing a cutter is different from re-shaping it. A lot of the cheap brazed carbide tools are so bad that they require substantial work beyond simple honing. That's been my experience anyway.
That’s been my experience too. It took grinding, reprofilling and undercutting for them to cut properly.

I have so many ways to grind HSS and carbide I rarely use the Baldor tool room grinder.
If I could find a source for quality diamond and green wheels maybe i'd use it.
The runout is so bad on the diamond wheel it's a royal PITA to use. I can dress the green wheel.
Baldor sells a diamond wheel for more than $1,000. That ain't gonna happen.
Shars is what I have now.

Attachments

• baldor.jpg
    baldor.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 10
Does one need to wear a respirator when using a green wheel to sharpen carbide (e.g. brazed carbide boring bars)?

Back