Stock PM1030V tool post adjustment not always low enough

I have the same problem with my QCTP. After a while, I started accumulating 1/2" and larger tools that I couldn't use. These tools are very difficult to liquidate on EBay, and I sometimes miss them. Along comes @Huub Buis and his clever toolholder. I made one, and my troubles are over. As a bonus, it holds up to 3/4' tools. Of course, it won't work for 1" tools, but I have a compound replacement plinth if that ever became an issue. To tell the truth, I only have one 1" shank tool, and it is more of a shelf queen.

I have not had this problem with my 1030, but my tool holders are all cheap off shore ones. I think the 1030 is right about the smallest size lathe an AXA size post will work on, so the adjustment being bottomed out is a consequence of that.

One thing I like about the arrangement is that there is room to adjust tools to run upside down with the lathe in reverse. I do all my threading and most parting like this. It's particularly useful for threading as it means you can produce normal right hand threads while cutting away from the chuck. Seems like I'm almost always cutting threads to a shoulder, and this removes all the stress from the process.

-Pete

I had read that the compound slide is a major contributor to a small lathe's lack of rigidity. So, I replaced it with a block of steel. I now use the compound slide only when single point threading or making a tape. This also allowed me to move the tool post closer to the edge of the clock and eliminate the limited height adjustment problem. I have also noted an improvement in the finish of parts.

Back