Sticky PVC Ball Valves

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a five-station manifold that comes out of the main water line from my well. Each station provides water supply to sections on the farm: house, barn, garden, pasture/shop, irrigation. This was done so that in frigid weather, we could turn off sections that were not in use, and subject to breakage because of freezing. Each line is 1" PVC with a PVC ball valve, and the entire setup is inside the heated wellhouse, so there is no danger of the manifold freezing.

Lately, however, I'm noticing the ball valves are beginning to 'stick' when rotating to On and Off positions. (I ALWAYS use both hands to prevent snapping off the plastic handles.) Is there a good product for lubricating the ball valves? I've heard of using WD40 but have also read some precautions against it. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Terry

I wouldn't use WD40 on a PVC valve. It may ease the sticking initially but it could soften the plastic and make the situation worse.

I used the PVC ball valves for shutoffs in the house plumbing and found no good way to assemble them without having them fail to shut off completely. I expect some solvent fumes got int the valve, creating the problem. I have been replacing the valves with brass and stainless valves as the opportunity arises. I have one remaining which services the hit water heater and will be replaced when I next service the heater.

As to lubricant for PVC, I would use silicone grease. It is commonly used for potable water fixtures and if used sparingly shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, RJ. I'd heard pros and cons about WD40 - the point you raised being suggested.

These valves are not operated very often - three of the five are never shut unless there is an issue, and even then the easier solution is to just throw the breaker on the well. The other two - only on and off as weather dictates. And down here, that's not very often. Would silicone spray work? One of those two sticks a little when turning the handle, so I'm thinking I need something that will penetrate down into the ball.

I have PVC ball valves on my plumbing, too. Once a year, I turn them off and on in order to replace the inline filter. That way I know that they are working properly with no leaks. Also, it also frees up a half tight one. Never thought of using silicon grease. Interested on more comments on this one.

Reactions: tjb
So many plumbing related questions/ discussions tonight. I generally avoid pvc ball valves due to their stickiness. Replace them with brass ball valves............

Last edited:
I have two 1 1/2 inch PVC ball valves to select between the two cisterns on the property.
There are a multitude of 3/4 PVC ball valves controlling flow to pump, pressure tank, lawn hydrants, house, etc.....

A 2 inch PVC ball valve is used on the 500 gallon haul tank. That one is the only one that has got so sticky the handles have snapped off.
I think this application is the impetus for the invention of the 'water pump pliers':grin:

I use brass ball valves for the air compressor tanks. 2 of 'em, outside and subjected to freeze 40% of the year.

I have never lubed any of them, and I suspect effective lube would need to run with the fluid controlled.
I will abstain......

Back