Steel On Cast Lathe Ways

Jonny

Registered
Registered
I need to make a steady rest base. The old base is cast iron. If I make the new one out of steel will that damage the cast ways of my Atlas? I can't find any cast locally or I'd just use that.

I'm open to other suggestions too. I can get 1" thick aluminum shipped cheap but thought it wouldn't work well?

Thanks!

I think you would be fine, but if your concerned you could make some inserts out of brass or alum where the rest meets the ways. Hold them in place with a recessed screw. Mike

I would say the steel would be fine since there wouldn't be any sliding wear as its stationary. But the aluminum would be fine as well, that's what I made mine of.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452865571.011845.jpg
It's for a 10k

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I'll probably go with steel then cause I have some and keep and eye on things. If I see any marks I'll make an aluminum shim like Mike suggested.

Just carefully remove any REALLY COARSE,or STRINGY milling marks from the steel base if you are worried about pressing dents into your bed. But,I would not worry about it. You can't screw the steady down tight enough to make dents in the cast iron. Just file the high spots off the steady's base. Stuff like little balls or other prominent marks that a roughly milled surface can sometimes have.

I need to make a steady rest base. The old base is cast iron. If I make the new one out of steel will that damage the cast ways of my Atlas? I can't find any cast locally or I'd just use that.

Thanks!
On a manual lathe the steady is placed in one position for use and moved around by hand. On a lathe with a steady that moves on it's own ways under power this may be another issue.

I made a steady for my craftsman -atlas 12x36 from A2 tool steel about 6 years ago, no problems at all. Oh and A2 is what I had easy access to at the time.

Cast iron is SO expensive!! I wouldn't hesitate to use steel instead of it. You could have bought a steady for what a large enough piece of cast iron costs.

Wreck,

You trying to intimidate us with showing us a "Omnirest" steady rest????

Back