Steady rest wheels

Jim F

Registered
Registered
What material do you use for steady rest wheels ?
My SB steady rest has bearings, but I need to find something that won't mar a finish.
I used mine to do my own barrel, I am going to re-finish it, so no big deal, but if I do one for someone, I need to not mess up the finish.

Attachments

• 20201121_203513.jpg
    20201121_203513.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
It is hard for me to imagine any type of material rotating directly against the barrel that would not run the risk of marking it. What cathead mentioned would be the way to go. A bit more work to set up but much less work than a new blue job.

Whenever I do barrels, receivers, or bolts, I plan on refinishing them as a matter of course. You could use a single, carefully-applied wrap of 10-mil tape, but at what cost to precision? It's easy enough to apply some air-curing cerakote (or KG gun kote) after the job is done.

I don't mess with blingy blue jobs, because what good is a shiny gun.

While not a gunsmith, I don't even admit to working on guns, I have a possible alternative to a steady rest for outside work. I have a 5/8" chuck on a swivel base, like a live center mounted to the tail stock. It doesn't work for boring work, but does quite well for external finish. My application doesn't involve inside work. The instrumentation tubing I use, seamless stainless, has a consistant bore of .187". Which is fine enough for what I do. It is much easier to set up than a steady, I use it once the end is squared off.

What material do you use for steady rest wheels ?
My SB steady rest has bearings, but I need to find something that won't mar a finish.
I used mine to do my own barrel, I am going to re-finish it, so no big deal, but if I do one for someone, I need to not mess up the finish.

The best solution I have found is to use solid brass arms and thick paper, not bearings. Take thick paper stock, like a magazine cover, and place a strip of it between the arms and the work, then clip the paper to the steady rest so it doesn't slip. Use some cutting oil to lube the paper and turn as usual. This will produce very minimal marring, if any. Works on all surfaces I have tried it on, including finished aluminum stock, but am not sure what it might do to a blued barrel.

The best solution I have found is to use solid brass arms and thick paper, not bearings. Take thick paper stock, like a magazine cover, and place a strip of it between the arms and the work, then clip the paper to the steady rest so it doesn't slip.

Most interesting, I have to remember this and give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

possibly make some wheels with bearings from Delrin , ABS, HDPE

Back