Steady and follow rests for 10" Logan 200

M

Mister Ed

Forum Guest
Register Today
OK, looking for anyone with opinions on a steady rest for the 10" Logan. It looks like Tools4cheap has theirs back in stock. Anyone have experience with theirs? Or should I spend the extra $ and wait for a used original on Ebay?

While I'm at it, I might as well look at follow rests. Any other options out there other than waiting for a used original to pop up? I though I had read one time that a SB Heavy 10 would fit ... anyone know for sure?

Thanks much,
Ed

OK, looking for anyone with opinions on a steady rest for the 10" Logan. It looks like Tools4cheap has theirs back in stock. Anyone have experience with theirs? Or should I spend the extra $ and wait for a used original on Ebay?

While I'm at it, I might as well look at follow rests. Any other options out there other than waiting for a used original to pop up? I though I had read one time that a SB Heavy 10 would fit ... anyone know for sure?

Thanks much,
Ed

Ed, I don't know much about the steady rest from Tools4cheap, but I waited and got an original Logan for $85. This also allowed me to drill and tap the 'fingers' and install small ball bearings on them, which works very well.

I did the same thing for a follow rest, but they don't come up very often for the Logan lathes. They are about as rare as hen's teeth! I was lucky just to find one, never used, for $170 shipping included. That may seem awfully expensive, but I have used it three times now and figure I have already gotten my money's worth out of it. I also have heard in the past that the follow rest from a South Bend Heavy 10 will fit on the Logan, but I cannot say with any certainty whether or not that statement is correct. If someone would care to offer the critical dimensions from a SB 10" follow rest, I could compare them to my Logan and report back. Better yet, I am going to visit a friend tomorrow, and he has an SB H10. I will take my follow rest along and compare it to his IF he has one, or we can try my follow rest on his lathe. I will report back with my findings.

Terry - Thanks for taking that effort!!!

I have always liked the roller idea on the fingers, so that is a point. You got a nice deal on your steady!! I have not seen any at that price, unless you dropped a 100 in front.

I there is a pair of both rests on Ebay now for a 9" ... at a good price.

Ed,

Keep in mind that the steady is the same for both the Logan 10" and 11", so keep your eye out for both.

Steve

Ed,

Keep in mind that the steady is the same for both the Logan 10" and 11", so keep your eye out for both.

Steve

:think1:
Steve, are you sure about the steady? I thought it was the follower rest that was the same ... or am I confused. Time to go digging in the Logan info, I guess.

I bought a steady rest for my Heavy Ten from ToolsforCheap. The rest is well built and looks like it will do the job. I have had the unit for several years and have yet to use it, so I can't comment on that. With a 1 3/8 inch spindle hole in my lathe I don't need to worry too much about the steady for the work I do.

I have bought a number of items from Jeff at ToolsforCheap and have been very satisfied with the quality.

Paul

Ed,

I had them reversed. The steady rests ARE different and the follow rests are the same.

My wife says I get confused easily, but I'm not sure. She could be right, but maybe not. :whistle:

Steve

Bringing back an older post. I'm looking for a center/steady rest for my 10" Logan 1875. No luck so far so wondering if TerryWorm ever got the chance to compare the 10" Logan steady rest to the SB Heavy 10?

That is the follow rest that is reported to be interchangeable, not the steady rest.

Back