Starter tool set for 11" lathe

In my humble opinion stick with HSS and grind your own. Its very very easy and you dont have to follow the recommended profiles for them to work. (although it is probably best to)
Just ensure all edges fall away (rake) from the cutting point and that its on centre and if you hone them after grinding make sure you dont round them over and blunt them.

HSS grinding was a required skill before a lathe could be used in my old High School shop classes. Bonus points if you learned
to resharpen drill bits too- My teacher Mr. Riddle was a pro at that

Use the same insert for turning and boring.
I suggest a WNMG 06.
One RH turning tool & a few boring bars.
These will get you through most jobs to start.

Parlo,

I see that the WNMG tool is a negative rake cutter. Most of what I looked up on these said that small lathes will likely do better with positive rake cutters (less power required and smoother cuts/better finish were mentioned).

Since I don't know anything about cutting rake, I thought I'd ask if you're aware of this opinion and if you have a different thought on the topic.

Parlo,

I see that the WNMG tool is a negative rake cutter. Most of what I looked up on these said that small lathes will likely do better with positive rake cutters (less power required and smoother cuts/better finish were mentioned).

Since I don't know anything about cutting rake, I thought I'd ask if you're aware of this opinion and if you have a different thought on the topic.
There is no definitive go to insert but here are some options that I considered for starting a tool collection.

These inserts have 6 cutting edges.
They can turn face & bore.
They will fit all of your holders.
If you need a specific geometry, say for Aluminium, the new pack will fit ALL your toolholders.

There are several factors that reduce cutting forces with top rake being one, another is the sharpness of the edge. These negative inserts get the clearances from tilting the top face down therefore allowing both sides of the insert to be used. This does not always mean thet the top rake is negative as chipbreakers moulded into the top of the insert provide the top rake.

Regarding the sharpness of the edge, With the relatively low cost per edge a fresh edge can be used more often without too much expense, there are 60 edges per box of 10. I believe that a smaller nose radius will also reduce the cutting forces so I suggest a 02 radius would be a good all round insert.

If you look at all the options for these inserts, there are some with very steep rake angles & others for Aluminium, both will reduce cutting forces.

Hope this helps.

Back