Starter tool set for 11" lathe

rronald

Registered
Registered
I ordered a PM-1130V lathe yesterday.

I think I have sufficient workholding tooling. A 3 jaw, a 4 jaw, and an ER40 collet chuck.

The lathe comes with an AXA QCTP and 5 holders. Based on some googling and the fact that I was briefly a machinist apprentice in the late 70s (and sort of remember grinding lathe tools).....I think I generally want to start with some HSS bar tools.

Question is, where and what to buy? I need enough tools to allow me to do some test cuts, get the lathe aligned, make sure it all works, etc. Once I've done that, I'll probably know enough to select further tooling. I probably want at least one insert tool holder or a pre-ground HSS blank to make sure I don't fail spectacularly or depressingly in my initial cuts.

I've also got a PrintNC mill that I built myself. For that one, I've been very happy with DLC coated tools from Ali (Dreanique). And they are down to about 2 weeks ship time, so a recommendation for a good Ali vendor that sells lathe cutting tools would be great. Or Amazon...or ????. I just don't want to buy something random advertised as HSS when it's actually not.....again risking the spectacular or merely depressing failure.

Thanks!

To get you started..... Little Machine Shop has Pre-Ground HHS Lathe bits and other odds and ends, such as HSS blanks.

I would suggest getting a small bench grinder and re-visit those half-forgotten tool grinding skills.
HSS bits can cut everything from plastic to steel- it's really a one-size fits all solution. Like John mentioned, stay away from
those Chinese brazed carbide piece of carp bits
Join the grinding club, it's a piece of cake- truly

I ordered a PM-1130V lathe yesterday.

I think I have sufficient workholding tooling. A 3 jaw, a 4 jaw, and an ER40 collet chuck.

The lathe comes with an AXA QCTP and 5 holders. Based on some googling and the fact that I was briefly a machinist apprentice in the late 70s (and sort of remember grinding lathe tools).....I think I generally want to start with some HSS bar tools.

Question is, where and what to buy? I need enough tools to allow me to do some test cuts, get the lathe aligned, make sure it all works, etc. Once I've done that, I'll probably know enough to select further tooling. I probably want at least one insert tool holder or a pre-ground HSS blank to make sure I don't fail spectacularly or depressingly in my initial cuts.

I've also got a PrintNC mill that I built myself. For that one, I've been very happy with DLC coated tools from Ali (Dreanique). And they are down to about 2 weeks ship time, so a recommendation for a good Ali vendor that sells lathe cutting tools would be great. Or Amazon...or ????. I just don't want to buy something random advertised as HSS when it's actually not.....again risking the spectacular or merely depressing failure.

Thanks!
I bought a set of tools from PM when I bought my lathe so I would have something to start with when I received the machine, they are carbide standard industry type inserts and work well for me. Grizzly sells some pre-ground HSS tools that seem to be reasonable; and if looking on Amazon I usually look for Accusize products (tools and Blanks), they are out of Canada, typically reasonable in priced, and as advertised HSS. I use a combination of HSS and Carbide.

If you join the forum here via a small donation, that will allow you access to the for sale and wanted forum, where you can post an ad. I say this as someone that bought a nice handful of NOS lathe bits from a member here for a very reasonable price. Way less than eBay, and better quality than china/India tools.

To get you started..... Little Machine Shop has Pre-Ground HHS Lathe bits and other odds and ends, such as HSS blanks.

That's more palatable for my wallet. I see 8 sharpened 3/8" square bits for under $50. They even have a set with 6 sharpened along with 5 blanks...so you can use the sharp ones as samples to practice your own (only in 1/4" though).

I know McMaster has good stuff and occasionally even has reasonable pricing on a lot of it..but $415 for a set of 10 is beyond my pain tolerance.

Back