Started my DRO PRO install today.

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So far so good I believe X axis is complete.
Will have to get my son to give me a couple hands tomorrow to figure out how to hang the Y axis and still have room'for a future power drive for the X.

DSCN7683.JPGDSCN7684.JPGDSCN7685.JPGDSCN7687.JPG
Wondering just how others have hung the Y axis on Bridgeport clone type mills.
I am open for suggestions?

Looks good!

Have you watched any of the videos? I don't have the mill DRO, but I do have the lathe and there were plenty of videos outlining the install.

Wondering just how others have hung the Y axis on Bridgeport clone type mills.
I am open for suggestions?

FWIW, I have a 9X42 BP clone with the Enco brand that is dated Yr 2000. It has a 3-axis Enco brand Sargon DRO that was factory-installed. I have a power drive on the X and there are no interference issues.

HTH, Bill

Here is a front view of the y-axis installation. The read head bracket is a 2-piece affair that is welded together.
Mill Y-1.jpg

The backside of the bracket
Mill Y-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have watched several of the videos on you tube. Most are 2 or 3 installments.
Here is what we came up with.

I had intended to run the Y axis cable out the back side but we inadvertently flipped the scale when we installed it and did not catch it till les had already made and installed the modified brackets and we were ready to install the read head. My son was pressed for time so rather than flip the scale and re-tram I just reversed the read head so it would be in sync w/the scale.

All in all I think it turned out OK. Have a few loose ends to tie up and install a couple hangers for the cables and I should be in business.

.DSCN7693.JPGDSCN7694.JPGDSCN7695.JPGDSCN7696.JPG

I have a Newall DRO on my mill and the mounting is very similar.
Very nice work!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to use it.
First off, I need to program a series of holes in a straight line along a work piece on the X axis.
All the videos I have found are for circles, arcs and angles using both X & Y.
I'm afraid this is going to put my multi million mile brain to the test!!

Back