Start to learn using mini Taig

oskar

Registered
Registered
Starting to learn how to use my new mini Taig (metalworking) with a Sherline 90VDC motor and KBIC controller.

So I have a 1” diameter solid aluminum piece in my chuck and wonder how do I find out the center of it besides eyeballing?

There are tons of reference material on starting machining, is there one which you suggest?

I have used cnc mill for hobby before but never touched a lathe before

Thanks

There are a number of ways to get the tool on center. Off the top of my head:
  • Align the top of the turning tool with the tip of a tailstock center, then face the end of the work. If there is a small nub, adjust up or down until it faces without any nub and you're on center.
  • Trap a 6" rule between the tool tip and the side of the work. Adjust the tool height until the ruler is perfectly vertical.
  • Use a centering tool like this: http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/speedy-lathe-gage/
  • Make your own tool height gauge.

If you're asking about getting the tool on center, Mike has you covered. I started with the eyeball and take a couple facing cuts method. It works alright. Having a custom height gauge is great though.

Just to clarify, as I had a similar question asked on another forum... Are you asking about the center of the 1" round stock? Is it in a 3-jaw self-centering chuck? If it is, it's centered. At least as centered as it needs to be. Turn and face it, and you're as close as your lathe is going to get.

If you are working with a non-scroll type chuck, the type where you move each jaw independently, you need to use a dial indicator to line things up. If you're just starting out, just use the 3-jaw. Indicating a part in an independent chuck is hassle you don't need right now. If you must for some reason, there are some good videos on youtube that show the process. It's trickier than some of them make it look though. :)

Thank you both

Yes I was asking the technics on how to get the tool on center of the 1” round stock, just to learn.

I have a 4 jaws chuck which now I understand it’s not of the best.

Will keep practicing, it’s all for hobby

Back