Starrett Screw lost

Ive brought this up before.

The whole "Cheap Chinese crap" mentality has fallen off IMO. Yes you are still supporting quasi communists (They are no longer real communists) and while not actually hurting American company's any longer, not helping them either.

The "Hurting" is over (Its dead Jim) and looking at it from a home shop or even small business side, things have really never been better.

Think about how much more capacity to fix or make things you would pay dearly to buy or pay to have fixed than home shop guys had in the past.

I always wanted a home shop, so Ive been playing this game for a loooong time, 35yrs or better. I've bought things that were actual JUNK which was frequent back 30yrs ago, a real crapshoot.

Today you can get a product that is nearly as good as old school equipment for pennies on the dollar. I remember scraping a couple hundred dollars together (When a couple hundred was big money)to buy an Aloris style tool post and holders from Enco. These were $300 or so and roughly 1/3 of what the actual product cost.

Now you can get similar quality for $150.

I look at some of the prized things I bought over the years only to find them looking like hammered dog **** and seeing NEW ones available for 1/10th the cost of what I paid used.

Cake/Eat it.
Interesting in many ways. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up for me. After many clapped out beautiful small 6 to 9" American lathes I realized I had to go Import to get my 1440 ( Taiwanese ) lathe. Used American lathes of that size were either worn out and if not 3 times what I paid for a new 1440 delivered. Very sad, but the way it is now. A well executed plan. Nuff said.

Clothing is another product that I doubt most on here buy American. There are some American Clothing companies out there. A certain co makes a Tee Shirt that is $40.00 and made in Los Angeles.

If you have ever been to Los Angeles I can tell you that the American made Tee shirt was sewn by an undocumented worker from Mexico or South America or China, Vietnam etc. The Fabric was most likely from Sri Lanka or Asia.

Most of the steel at your local steel yard is from China, Korea or Canada, Just recently American Steel Plants have been re-opened and that is good for our local economy, I live in Iron County, The local Iron mine here was idle until 2014 and has been running ever since. I don't like what's happened to our country either but to say I don't buy Chinese stuff, You are kidding yourself.

Clothing is another product that I doubt most on here buy American. There are some American Clothing companies out there. A certain co makes a Tee Shirt that is $40.00 and made in Los Angeles.

If you have ever been to Los Angeles I can tell you that the American made Tee shirt was sewn by an undocumented worker from Mexico or South America or China, Vietnam etc. The Fabric was most likely from Sri Lanka or Asia.

Most of the steel at your local steel yard is from China, Korea or Canada, Just recently American Steel Plants have been re-opened and that is good for our local economy, I live in Iron County, The local Iron mine here was idle until 2014 and has been running ever since. I don't like what's happened to our country either but to say I don't buy Chinese stuff, You are kidding yourself.
again, your last sentence

Fact is that Starrett has been having stuff made overseas for quite a few years now. When they still produced a paper catalog anything on a page that didn't have a U.S. flag logo was an import. I don't even know how you tell now - at least until it shows up.

GsT

Whoo boy, chinese steel.

We have had some interesting steel come into the shop and have banned one distributer from our vendors list.

This vendor was sending us chinese steel that had razor sharp edges and was coated in old bilge oil that made our hands red and dried them out.

Nasty, sticky smeary stuff like I have never seen.

We also have a couple chinese die sets, and their quite....uh....interesting.

They're best described as made by someone who read in a book on how to go about different die making processes, and just went ahead with no practice or knowledge of what they were doing.

Back