[Newbie] Starret Last Word Indicator Reversing Lever-how To Use?

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,
I bought a used Starret Last Word Indicator and the accessories on eBay.
I tried to tram my mill today with the Indicator in a collet and noticed I could only get the tip to deflect "down" =away from the dial face.--so I had to use a mirror to read the dial when tramming the mill to the vise.

--looked on the internet and there is apparently a "reversing lever" so the indicator tip will deflect "up" so I can read the dial without a mirror. I don't want to force anything on this indicator-- can someone tell me more about the reversing lever -- ?
(I'd post a pic of the indicator but my shop is 30 min away right now!)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bob V

Looking at the dial, with the contact point down, the reversing lever is on the left side of the body behind the dial.

There is a reversing lever back on the body. It pivots against a small stop pin to change the direction of spring tension. Simply push the other end to change directions. Move it completely against the stop,, not halfway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony,
Thanks very much!
I'm a Newbie at this-
I saw the lever, but just didn't want to "screw it up". I looked for an "Owners manuel" at Starret, and on the web and couldn't find one.
Additional question: some of the parts are quite stiff (I know they have to be fairly stiff so they don't move when taking a measurement-- but some of the accessories seem "overly stiff". I have a bottle of Starret Instrument oil-- can I oil the joints and threads of the attachments to make them more "user friendly"? I know I could try this myself-- but why reinvent the wheel when there's so much experience on this forum!
Thanks guys,
Bob V

Oh sure. M-1 is an excellent instrument lube if you have it. None of the threads should be tight so that they are difficult to turn with your fingers. The clamps and swivels, as you noted, must be tight enough to stay during use. But if they are excessively snug, a drop or two won't hurt them at all. Sometimes these things get stiff from sitting up unused, and need a little TLC.

Thanks to everybody for all the help!
I think this Last Word just needs the M-1 Starret oil and a little TLC as mentioned.
Much appreciated.
Bob

The last Word indicator is by design not as free moving as newer models. That is; The probe does not move with as little force as more modern ones. I'm not saying that a little oil might not help. But,a few years ago there was a dispute here over how sensitive Last Word indicators were. I have an electronic diamond weighing scale that is VERY sensitive. I took a last Word,a Mitutoyo indicator,and a like new plunger back Starrett indicator and tested them by pressing them down against the scale until the needles moved .002" The Last Word took about 4 times the force to move than the Mitutoyo. The plunger back is another less sensitive design. Even with a bit of Starrett instrument oil on the plunger, It took about the same force as the Last Word.

Less sensitivity means less accuracy. The Last Word was an old stand by many years ago,but things have improved since then. I'd encourage you to use your Last Word,but keep an eye out for a more modern design. I used a Chinese made one of more modern design for a while until the Mitutoyo came along. I think the Chinese one was just fine,and reasonably sensitive,being a more modern design. I may have gotten by lucky with it being o.k.,and not breaking down. You never can tell with Asian products.

The last Word indicator is by design not as free moving as newer models. That is; The probe does not move with as little force as more modern ones. I'm not saying that a little oil might not help. But,a few years ago there was a dispute here over how sensitive Last Word indicators were. I have an electronic diamond weighing scale that is VERY sensitive. I took a last Word,a Mitutoyo indicator,and a like new plunger back Starrett indicator and tested them by pressing them down against the scale until the needles moved .002" The Last Word took about 4 times the force to move than the Mitutoyo. The plunger back is another less sensitive design. Even with a bit of Starrett instrument oil on the plunger, It took about the same force as the Last Word.

Less sensitivity means less accuracy. The Last Word was an old stand by many years ago,but things have improved since then. I'd encourage you to use your Last Word,but keep an eye out for a more modern design. I used a Chinese made one of more modern design for a while until the Mitutoyo came along. I think the Chinese one
Thanks, George.
For the time being-- I think I'll have to use the last word. Appreciate all the info and help.
Bob

Back