Stamping/engraving Caliber On Rifle Barrel

Thanks for posting about the Hermes. I happened to pick up a couple of Hermes pantographs a few weeks ago in a "package deal". The one with the motor, sorta but not really like Derf's ;), I am planning on making/finding a spindle for it to engrave some AR lowers and other misc. stuff. I got a large box full of small parts and a bunch of fonts. Now I just have to get in gear and get the bigger one up and working so I can figure out how it works. :grin:

hermes01.jpg

hermes02.jpg

-Ron

Thanks for posting about the Hermes. I happened to pick up a couple of Hermes pantographs a few weeks ago in a "package deal". The one with the motor, sorta but not really like Derf's ;), I am planning on making/finding a spindle for it to engrave some AR lowers and other misc. stuff. I got a large box full of small parts and a bunch of fonts. Now I just have to get in gear and get the bigger one up and working so I can figure out how it works. :grin:

hermes01.jpg

hermes02.jpg

-Ron
Ron, gravograph (formerly New Hermes) still makes pantographs and still has parts available for some of the obsolete models. The spindles are interchangeable between multiple models. I bet they will be able to help you out.

Ron, gravograph (formerly New Hermes) still makes pantographs and still has parts available for some of the obsolete models. The spindles are interchangeable between multiple models. I bet they will be able to help you out.

Thanks Skelso. Gravograph wasn't very helpful but I did finally find one at Quality One Engravers

Once it gets here I'll be smacking up against the learning curve again. :grin:

-Ron

While engraving is a great way to mark a barrel, it is an expensive setup. I have used electro chem etching and done properly, does a fine job. You can buy a kit at the entry level for about 50 bucks, or more expensive units. You can have stencils made for repeat markings, like you name or a common caliber, or use a manual typewriter and the supplied "paper" and make your own.

By the way, ATF has no requirement for caliber marking on a barrel. What they are concerned about is the make and serial number on the receiver that has to be a minimum of .003" deep.

I have a commercial ECE unit, and I agree. They can actually etch .010-015 deep if needed. The proper electrolyte must be used, and the voltage along with polarity is selected per application. If you want a "permanent" template, like a personal or company logo, you can get one made of plastic that will last thousands of etches. Otherwise, the "special" paper is just old fashioned mimeograph paper and you write on it with a dried out ball point pen, or type on it with no ribbon in the machine. Or draw something fancy, whatever you want.

Tony, I bought the basement kit, small unit that has a "dc" adapter. I found, that using the dc adapter first, letting it work for a minute or two, then changing to the regular without the dc, and it makes a really nice and black mark.

A friend who is a smith, has a much better etching setup than mine, and it does a great job. So without a doubt, these things can mark a barrel very well at a fraction of the cost of engraving.

In my use, I did stainless barrels only. I certainly can see if a barrel were to be blued, or some other surface finish, etching may not be the best thing.

Good words boys. Very helpful discussion.
Here's the latest in my plight:
I do mostly cerakote barrels. Already there is a problem - can't do chem etching over the finish, on the other hand, it probably won't show very well if done on the SS/CM barrel BEFORE the cerakote is applied.

I just found and awesome solution, but not an awesome price. I've had a couple barrels engraved by a local engraver that has a yag laser. It looks awesome, but it's $50 each. I've had two barrels done AFTER they're cerakoted, and it's simply almost worth the money...and time/trouble. I see why guys just stick with the old method of stamping with a hammer. Simple, quick, and free.....just not awesome. My conclusion might be to stick with Dave with the yag for now, especially if the customer is okay with me listing it as a line item cost on his invoice.
Check it out:

IMG_20160717_020207012.jpg

IMG_20160717_020131158.jpg

Good words boys. Very helpful discussion.
Here's the latest in my plight:
I do mostly cerakote barrels. Already there is a problem - can't do chem etching over the finish, on the other hand, it probably won't show very well if done on the SS/CM barrel BEFORE the cerakote is applied.

I just found and awesome solution, but not an awesome price. I've had a couple barrels engraved by a local engraver that has a yag laser. It looks awesome, but it's $50 each. I've had two barrels done AFTER they're cerakoted, and it's simply almost worth the money...and time/trouble. I see why guys just stick with the old method of stamping with a hammer. Simple, quick, and free.....just not awesome. My conclusion might be to stick with Dave with the yag for now, especially if the customer is okay with me listing it as a line item cost on his invoice.
Check it out:

View attachment 132532

View attachment 132533

That looks great! I doubt you could find anything that looks much better than that.

Now, as for these "etching kits", which/where are you guys getting these kits from?

-Ron

Back