Stainless - Who Makes The Best Drill Bits And Taps On The Planet?

+1 on the spiral flute taps. We ran those (1/4-20) in hard 17-4 castings. We also ran a 2-56 in the same part, could only get maybe 5 holes before they snapped.

I still hate those valve covers.

Guhring, Titex, SKF, Dormer and Volkel are all decent brands. Just make sure that the machine or spiral taps are rated for stainless since there are different taps for different materials. Stainless is pretty tough on taps and dies so make sure you use decent quality. Just try to do your drilling and tapping with single passes since the work hardening will cause you grief.

Once you use spiral or machine taps you won't go back to regular hand taps.

Paul.

Inbound - 2 sets of Guhring Cobalt spiral flute taps, 3 flute for steel and 2 flute for aluminum in 8-32, 10-24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18, and 3/8-16. While I had the MSC discount maxed out I ordered a couple of Collis end mill holders to try out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The M.A. Ford Hi-Roc solid carbide drill bits arrived. Applications include steels, hardened steels (35-65Rc), stainless steels, special alloys, and non-ferrous. These are NOT for use on cast iron.

Here's the 1/2 bit...quoting the sergeant in in Alien 2, we have come to conquer and we are going to get some! Get in the Kurt stainless its time to die! (mad scientist type laugh)

Last edited by a moderator:
As you know, speeds and feeds are critical with carbide, especially so with stainless.

Endmill Holders...For when you need brute grip while roughing and hogging. Collets for when you are taking light cuts like Michael. :D

You are planning on using carbide die sinking drills in a wobbly knee mill?
Good choice of tools as they are pretty much bullet proof.
Please let everyone know how it works out for you.

I like and use C-L, OSG and Guhring is my fav for all drills and taps. MA Ford and others are in my box too. I have a few Emuge taps too, very nice Muti-Taps.

Last edited:
Back