stainless steel - what are the exposure risks when working it?

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, perhaps I should have considered this early and done more research.

For a hobby shop machinist (ie. a few hours a week, small stuff, basic tools) what are the risks and how serious working with stainless steels?

I've been aware from the start that wielding stainless posses some extreme risks due to the gasses that are produced. I have no welding equipment and do not intend to weld stainless anytime soon, so lets put that one aside for this discussion. (In the event that I get into wielding I will spend a ton of time educating myself on associated risks).

From other reading, there is also a risk of inhalation of dust when grinding. Ok, good to know. I'm assuming that this is related to the the heat and fine dust, just like welding. Hot fine dust is going to change chemically and you don't want to inhale chromium or lead. I don't do a lot of grinding but will be more careful in general about grinding dust.

How about machining stainless? I imagine that small smoking hot chips of stainless are also going to be giving off bad smoke that you don't want to be inhaling all day. In the past I've machined SS at feeds and speeds that produced too much heat - to the point of blue chips and smoke. The simple fact that this is bad for end mills and small machines, I now use coolant system and my tools and myself are much happier milling SS.

So I've managed to mitigate this hazard simply by doing a better job - adding coolant and slowing down if necessary.

What about band-sawing? I use a cutting wax stick for lubrication/cutting - again, the blade lasts much longer. However cutting will still give off smoke but I'm assuming this from the wax/oil and not likely to be (much of?) an SS smoke/dust exposure hazard.

How about powered sanding for finish? Ok - dust is definitely an potential problem but this is done at speeds and pressures that doesn't cause sparks.

Even finer dust and cooler - hand sanding for finish or fit? I've taken to using DNA when doing this as it controls/contains the dust and also helps prevent sand paper from loading. This is typically done on a flat surface plate of some sort, the DNA also helps stick the paper down.

To recap and condense:

- Wielding flat out NO (for me for now, buy the right PPE and learn safety protocol in general if I ever get there)
- Grinding / abrasive cutting operations that produce sparks: Manage dust collection use ventilation.
- Milling / Machining: Don't make smoke to begin with! (coolant)
- Cold work that produces fine dust sanding finishing: Keep the dust down, don't eat it.
- Heat treating (annealing, silver solder etc)? same smoke risks?

Understand that I'm in my 60's and I've done plenty of things that exposed myself to hazards that I shouldn't have. I try not to needlessly add exposure risks and in this case, I'm now doing enough work with SS that I need consider more opportunities for repetitive exposure (but still not 9-5 job in a metal working shop level).

Please try to keep this focused on risks specific to stainless steel (or related?) metals.

Thanks.

You seem to be a first class worrier, I have done machining and welding, polishing for most of my 79 years, I do have some health issues, but who does not? At a hobby level, I'd not worry about it. I used mostly 303 stainless as it machines much easier than other grades, they say it's not the best for welding, but I never had a failure.

yea, nothing here. Welded using flux core, grinding , milled, and turned.

When grinding it's a good idea to wear a mask, especially angle grinding. and that applies to all metals, BUTTTTT I don't mostly, as I can't see. I fog my safety glasses.

Do what you feel necessary.

I started production machining stainless steel 71 years ago and if you are going to worry about cutting stainless be more worried about the cutting oils.
I would be more worried about breathing in other peoples cigarettes smoke.

You seem to be a first class worrier, I have done machining and welding, polishing for most of my 79 years, I do have some health issues, but who does not? At a hobby level, I'd not worry about it. I used mostly 303 stainless as it machines much easier than other grades, they say it's not the best for welding, but I never had a failure.
Agreed, I machine and weld stainless and have no issues. When welding, any material, I have my fans on and the door open for ventilation primarily because I do not like sucking smoke of any kind into my lungs.

You seem to be a first class worrier,
That's a little harsh.

The whole point of asking here was to get a rational perspective.
There are plenty of authoritative sources of the real risk of grinding dust from stainless steel. My level of exposure is small enough that I seriously doubt it's an issue - but it's worth asking.

Your knowledge and experience leads to "you don't need anything beyond what you would typically use for procedures and PPE"

The consensus in the responses so far seems to be don't sweat it.

Thanks.

As a kid, I had access to mercury which I played with a lot. Also melted and cast quite a bit of lead (100's of pounds) in a closed basement. In general messed around with whatever was available. I also smoked for 10 years. A couple of years ago, a clean up project had me going through 3 gallons of acetone. I did it outside but never got gloves that it wouldn't eat through (rather quickly. Despite all logic, I rarely wear a helmet when I ride trails on my bike....

I try not to do stupid things, sometimes I succeed.

We'll we work mostly with 303 stainless. We machine it in flood coolant which certainly helps concentrating it to the fluid, sad part about that though is often times our machinists choose not to wear gloves all day while working with and inspecting parts. The problem lays within the micro fibers that may splinter off and this I believe resulted in a pretty severe intolerance to one individual who could not touch anything stainless there after. His specific allergy was to chromium and he developed either eczema or psoriasis forget which one. The silverware in his kitchen drawer was even causing problems. He did have a round of chemo several years prior so this may have diminished his immune system to some extent. I would just take caution whenever grinding, an occasional chip here or there won't be a problem.

Speaking of metals. I had a guy come up and buy a couple older Yamaha enduros. He worked on polishing aluminum for a I believe a garage door company. 30+ years and he was a mess, neurological symptoms and physical symptoms to name a few. He knew his time was short so got to enjoy rebuilding these bikes. Showed me a few pictures and he was meticulous and they looked great. I believe he said he couldn't even ride them after they were finished or did not feel comfortable enough to do so on the road.

I've spent MANY hours welding stainless (40-60 hour weeks, full time tig welding for a couple of years), no special PPE, no issues. My current job has me machining and hand grinding several different stainless alloys often... they have done air quality tests in every area looking for unhealthy conditions.

I wouldn't worry about it.

-Bear

That's a little harsh.

The whole point of asking here was to get a rational perspective.
There are plenty of authoritative sources of the real risk of grinding dust from stainless steel. My level of exposure is small enough that I seriously doubt it's an issue - but it's worth asking.

Your knowledge and experience leads to "you don't need anything beyond what you would typically use for procedures and PPE"

The consensus in the responses so far seems to be don't sweat it.

Thanks.

As a kid, I had access to mercury which I played with a lot. Also melted and cast quite a bit of lead (100's of pounds) in a closed basement. In general messed around with whatever was available. I also smoked for 10 years. A couple of years ago, a clean up project had me going through 3 gallons of acetone. I did it outside but never got gloves that it wouldn't eat through (rather quickly. Despite all logic, I rarely wear a helmet when I ride trails on my bike....

I try not to do stupid things, sometimes I succeed.
Don't be skeert lil feller................

For a hobby shop machinist (ie. a few hours a week, small stuff, basic tools) what are the risks and how serious working with stainless steels?
Chemical hazards, no problem (stainless alloys vary, but some are used for surgical implants). The big issue with
stainless is that it work-hardens, and can (on a lathe, for example) produce a furball of razor-sharp swarf
rotating at high speed.

Try not to get cut.

Back