Stainless steel cylinder. But what type of stainless?

Well, I emailed the company that I bought this from and surprisingly, I got a phone call from them. The good news a gentleman (engineer) called me back. The bad news is they have no idea what it is. He said that he even searched through the old PO's and other work orders on the computer system and came up empty. He did a search with different criteria too, like A65, 650, A6510, etc.
The really cool thing is I ended up talking with him for 20 minutes about machines, engineering and other fun stuff. What a great guy!
Must have been a slow day at his office!

Op mentioned pink/salmon color codes... I know there are a lot of color codes out there, but pink on stainless is more often than not 316.

I bored a cannon barrel for a friend back in the 1980s, 2 3/8" bore, about 3 ft long; he has since gone on to own in excess of 40 artillery pieces; sound like a sickness?, Probably starts with match heads and bicycyle spoke ends, then marbles, black powder and whatever hole you can find to poke them into ------

Here are some pictures of the ends....
The common theme is both ends have a little "yellow" colored paint on them. The other end take your pick... blue, red, yellow, black.

Attachments

• 20200720_121142.jpg
    20200720_121142.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200720_121134.jpg
    20200720_121134.jpg
    887.3 KB · Views: 29
Try machining it.

If you immediately break all of your tools, it's probably 304 or 316. ;)

Some of the info I found is yellow on stainless is 316. Another site lists gold (which it could be I guess) on stainless as 17-4PH, whatever that is. Ryerson lists 304 as gold or yellow as 41003.
Apparently green means go. Yellow means caution. Red is apparently stop.

Try machining it.

If you immediately break all of your tools, it's probably 304 or 316. ;)
I could bring it over there Jeff and have you make those cylinders out of it. :)

I was just looking at Ryersons chart again and Red/Blue could be 416HT.

Ha, how much are you gonna pay me to try??

I just broke two end mills last night trying to machine some 316.

Stuff's a BEAR. Work-hardens faster than you can blink.

Back