Stainless steel caliper magnetic?

Metaloxide

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have two old Helios vernier calipers and they are stainless steel but they seem to be magnetized just slightly so that they pick up metal shavings which drives me crazy.
Is there a good way to demagnetize these? 1000006593.jpg

This is what I used for magnetizing and demagnetizing tools:

IMG_1487.jpeg

Rick “mostly used for screwdrivers” Denney

This is what I did. It will work on calipers, vernier, dial, or digital.

Thanks. That's expensive but I can see a lot of uses for it.

Heh. Expensive? The Bergeon original sold to watchmakers costs more like four or five hundred bucks.

Rick “those Swiss elves are well-paid” Denney

I made this years ago. easy, quick, cheap. just a few magnets

This is what I did. It will work on calipers, vernier, dial, or digital.
That's really cool! That makes me wonder if I could just swipe it across an induction cooktop while it's running. Obviously I'd have to be quick or it would heat up in a hurry but it might be just the ticket and I know somebody that's got one. Of course I need something for the shop anyway because being able to demagnetize things right when I need to is very useful.

I made this years ago. easy, quick, cheap. just a few magnets
I see so you just made an adapter to spin some magnets in a drill press and then run the tool across that? That's pretty slick and very cheap and easy to do. If my son hasn't lost them I should have plenty of neodymium magnets to make something like that.

That's really cool! That makes me wonder if I could just swipe it across an induction cooktop while it's running. Obviously I'd have to be quick or it would heat up in a hurry but it might be just the ticket and I know somebody that's got one. Of course I need something for the shop anyway because being able to demagnetize things right when I need to is very useful.
why would you want to do that on a induction cooktop? and while it's on ... NO
edit: I thought you meant the magnet..
Some people remove the guts (armature) of motors and just use the magnetic fields.
They stick the parts in without touching the windings and move it in and out.

why would you want to do that on a induction cooktop? and while it's on ... NO
edit: I thought you meant the magnet..
Some people remove the guts (armature) of motors and just use the magnetic fields.
They stick the parts in without touching the windings and move it in and out.
Even better I can do that at home for $0 I'm sure I've got at least half a dozen motors laying around.

Back