Stabil for rec fuel?

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am about to park my pickup for 7 months in the garage. All summer in FL keys.

I ran it down and filled with rec. fuel - no ethanol. Not as good as the old gas with lead, but best around. I forgot to add the stabil fuel conditioner and run the truck a few miles. No big deal? should i add it sitting in the garage?

Other suggestions on long term storage?

Can't hurt , but the un-ethanol should be fine . I use it in all the toys and it lasts over the winter months with no Stabil added .

I would add the stabil now. Run the vehicle to get it into the entire fuel system. It may not be needed, but why not?

My old motorcycles would plug up their pilot jets after a few months of non use, until I starting using Stabil in the fuel. Since then, never. Even after six months of inactivity.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t. What some don’t realize is stabil also has a shelf life 1yr I believe. I might be lucky but I have never put stabil in anything I own. Don’t see a point. 2strokes I empty the tank and use the primer to get all the fuel from carb. Anything else for storage I fill to the top and leave it. Have never had a problem. I have a Sunday cruiser that I still have COVID times gas in it. Just open it up when you get the chance!

I am about to park my pickup for 7 months in the garage. All summer in FL keys.

What kind of pickup? Newer, older, fuel injection, carburetor, new enough to have evaporative emissions (Charcoal can and a vent valve on the tank? or is it an open vent?

I ran it down and filled with rec. fuel - no ethanol. Not as good as the old gas with lead, but best around.

Hogwash..., Lead was not better, it was a necessity because the engines were so bad. The gasoline (not counting the lead)... That's gone to crap, all day long. the GAS is not what it used to be. The ethanol isn't making things better, but it gets blamed for a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with it that "gas never used to do". Except you can store ethanol without these issues, and stored ethanol doesn't cause the damages that are blamed on ethanol, and the dates when problems and ethanol all showed up don't line up by decades. But that's nowhere near as fun I guess....

I forgot to add the stabil fuel conditioner and run the truck a few miles. No big deal? should i add it sitting in the garage?

Other suggestions on long term storage?

If the vehicle has a carburetor, and/or an open vented gas tank, you've gotta run it to make Stabil do it's magic.
If it's fuel injected, and has the charcoal can in the evap system, no wories. Pour in whatever it wants, and call it a day.
Stabil doesn't mix, so it doesn't need to be mixed. Just getting it where it needs to be, where the gasoline is freely exposed to atmosphere, that's all you've got to accomplish.

Run it long enough to make sure any ethanol fuel is gone and you should be good. It you're not carburated you might be good already. Leaving ethanol fuel in the float bowl of a carburator is a big mistake,imo. (Almost as big as my inability to spell carburator, apparently...)

GsT

We do the same when putting our motorhome in storage. I would also recommend disconnecting the battery, and if you have rodents in the area put a plug or cap over the tailpipe. Mice love to get inside and build a nest. We slip a 3" PVC cap over the engine tailpipe, and a 1" one in the generator tailpipe.

FWIW, I decided to leave well enough alone. I run AC all year so not much trouble with condensation anyway. its a 2021 unit BTW.

I keep the battery on a tender.

The rec fuel is all you need. I recommend Startron if you need fuel preservative but no need for rec fuel and only 7 months.

john

its a 2021 unit BTW.

It'll be fine.

I keep the battery on a tender.

New cars should have a button on the dash that says I'm gonna be away for a couple of weeks, you have my permission to go ahead and turn off, and I'll live with the extra 7/8 of a second it takes to cold start all of the modules.

Back