Spiral point taps

Beone

Active User
Registered
Been reading in several threads about spiral point taps. Just got in some and tried them. HOLY CRAP!! I'm completely sold! Difference between night and day! Won't be buying anything else except to get some spiral flute for blind holes
thanks Guys!
dave

Yes Dave, I agree Holy Crap the same impression I got about a year ago, spiral point taps are the way to go. John

I guess they are in the highly recommended catagorie. Do you run them under power or by hand? I'm going to get some and try myself. I always find the most stressful part of a job is when the part is almost complete and it is time to do the final drilling and tapping, it doesn't happen often but I always dread the SNAP of a tap.
Michael

Same here but just to clarify spiral point & spiral flute taps are not the same.

Spiral point taps as the name implies have only a spiral point & straight flutes. They are generally used for through holes & the sprial point pushes the chip ahead of the tap so they don't clog up the flutes. I believe they can still be used fine for a blind hole where the hole is deeper than the required threaded area so there's enough room for the chips. But chips will still need to be cleared out.

Spiral flute taps, the entire tap, flutes & all are spiral. These are best for blind holes where the chips will evacuate out the rear of the tap & out of the hole like a drill bit. Because the entire flute is spiral they're a bit weaker & can be broken more easily.

Lately I've had to tap hundreds of 6-32 holes using a sprial flute tap with a Tapmatic on some things I'm making. The spiral flute taps are awesome & work as designed leaving a chip free blind hole.

EDIT: Crap, misread your post, after posting all that blah blah blah I just realized you were talking about the two different kinds & not as the same. :banghead:

It's still very good info so I appreciate all your blah blah blah. ahahaha
Same here but just to clarify spiral point & spiral flute taps are not the same.

Spiral point taps as the name implies have only a spiral point & straight flutes. They are generally used for through holes & the sprial point pushes the chip ahead of the tap so they don't clog up the flutes. I believe they can still be used fine for a blind hole where the hole is deeper than the required threaded area so there's enough room for the chips. But chips will still need to be cleared out.

Spiral flute taps, the entire tap, flutes & all are spiral. These are best for blind holes where the chips will evacuate out the rear of the tap & out of the hole like a drill bit. Because the entire flute is spiral they're a bit weaker & can be broken more easily.

Lately I've had to tap hundreds of 6-32 holes using a sprial flute tap with a Tapmatic on some things I'm making. The spiral flute taps are awesome & work as designed leaving a chip free blind hole.

EDIT: Crap, misread your post, after posting all that blah blah blah I just realized you were talking about the two different kinds & not as the same. :banghead:

Been reading in several threads about spiral point taps. Just got in some and tried them. HOLY CRAP!! I'm completely sold! Difference between night and day! Won't be buying anything else except to get some spiral flute for blind holes
thanks Guys!
dave

I agree the spiral taps are great. Designed for production tapping. It like drilling a thread chips don't load up.

spiral_tap_detail.jpg

THESE?

got a bunch many years ago..still tapping like new

spiral_tap_detail.jpg

This is a Spiral Pointed Tap. The one shown by "Toolmaster" is spiral fluted. Big difference.

"Billy G"

79taspiralpoint.jpg

Back