Spindle Servo motor

Cad cam man

Registered
Registered
Hello to all ,
I have a PM727v that has been converted to cnc after a full year of running I would like to go with a servo on the spindle for more control and feedback as well as tapping ....etc. a few issues the 1st being where is a trusted seller of these servo kits that come with the driver and cables... I have found a few on Aliexpress but I am not a big fan of that site and ebay is getting to be a little sketchy as well. I was going to go with a JMC brand servo but in the end, they are all about the same and I cant find a good source so ....Does anyone have a trusted source for buying a 1.5 KW servo with driver? Or if anyone has a used one, they would like to sell? I am in southeast Texas near Houston

I will be interested to know what you find out. I have often wished I had power tapping capability.

I do not know much about these, but some folks who have done there own CNC conversions use ClearPath servo motors for the x, y, z drives. I think permanent magnet motors are what are used in the more recent Tesla, etc., cars as they all seem to use electronic braking and energy recovery. Here is kind of an interesting discussion on the electric car motors being used. https://www.tesla.com/blog/induction-versus-dc-brushless-motors

I have not researched the torque curve comparisons between servo and induction motors (which are standard on most of our mills). You may want to check out the sizing comparison of motors types to be sure you have sufficient cutting torque at operational speed. Also, maximum speed. My mill induction motor/VDF gets up to 3200rpm and I wish it would go even higher.

Anyway, there is some data at the USA ClearPath manufacturer: https://teknic.com/products/clearpath-brushless-dc-servo-motors/ac-induction-replacement/ or https://teknic.com/about/ . It looks like Teknic is located in Victor NY, which is a few miles southeast of Rochester NY. I used to live in that neighborhood. They seem to sell motors, supplies, controllers etc..

Good luck

Dave L.

I do rigid tapping and hobbing on my mills. To program this I use a Galil control card for electronic gearing.

I am curious what machine control software you are looking at.

Teknic has a "cute tongue-in-cheek automated bartender" video demonstrating their $99 Clearcore controller that can be used with their Clearpath motors. Not exactly a PM727v mill! There are other informative videos describing the motor series. USA manufacturer. Anyway, entertaining.

As I mentioned earlier, some HM folks have installed CNC conversions for their mills and have used the CNC parts and kits that they get from https://www.arizonacnckits.com/hybrid-stepper-kit.html HM folks seem to be pleased with the results and I see that for some mills PM provides links to the Arizona cnc website. Anyway, they sell a kit for the PM727 and others. I also see they are going to have a kit for a belt driven spindle conversion for the PM940. They use the Clearpath motors for the axis, not for sure what they will suggest for the spindle. You did not say how your did your CNC conversion. Anyway, you might contact them about your plans and see if they have suggestions.

Dave L.

Teknic has a "cute tongue-in-cheek automated bartender" video demonstrating their $99 Clearcore controller that can be used with their Clearpath motors. Not exactly a PM727v mill! There are other informative videos describing the motor series. USA manufacturer. Anyway, entertaining.

As I mentioned earlier, some HM folks have installed CNC conversions for their mills and have used the CNC parts and kits that they get from https://www.arizonacnckits.com/hybrid-stepper-kit.html HM folks seem to be pleased with the results and I see that for some mills PM provides links to the Arizona cnc website. Anyway, they sell a kit for the PM727 and others. I also see they are going to have a kit for a belt driven spindle conversion for the PM940. They use the Clearpath motors for the axis, not for sure what they will suggest for the spindle. You did not say how your did your CNC conversion. Anyway, you might contact them about your plans and see if they have suggestions.

Dave L.
Dave ,
I have already converted the x , y , z axis I am now working on gaining control of my spindle as stated in the 1st 2 sentences. I didn't want describe every single component i have converted , but having said that I built my conversion components with Franco's pm25mv project for a starting point and put my twist on it . I am more focused on the spindle the pm727v is a gear driven spindle with high and low and 3 gears for each and I want to do away with that and go with only belt drive ...I hope this clears things up a bit

I do rigid tapping and hobbing on my mills. To program this I use a Galil control card for electronic gearing.

I am currently running centroid acorn for my software on a closed loop stepper system

I'm currently using centroid acorn cnc 12

Just a quick update .... I bought a DMM 11A-DST-A6HK1 1KW ac servo with the DYN4 ac servo drive, I chose this from my setup because the specs were where I needed them to be with what type of work I am going to be doing. I'm not in a rush to get this done for several reasons and the main reason being money, I don't want to cheap it, but I also don't want to end up spending way too much ...but that is a whole other conversation. Now that I have the motor and drive, I have started to build mounting plate for the motor, risers to sit above the top cover, as well as some power draw bar parts that will be added as well. I have the PM727V the spindle and motor are driven by sets of gears for high and low range as well as 1,2,3 so I am deleting all of those and I will depend on the servo to give me the torque I will need. This means I will be converting the gear drive over to a vee belt drive, this has been done on another machine very similar to what I have by a youtuber ( CNC4XR7 ) his machine is the PM727M, so I have been able to follow his lead in so way. So that is where I am right now, currently I'm making some pulleys that will fit over the earing housing in the top cover for the spindle, these are going to be 2 step pulleys for a high and low range. The PM727V has a bearing hub for the spindle that sticks up above the top cover and I'm not sure if it is casted on top the cover or if it was pressed in but I am trying to figure that out so I can make the pully accordingly. If anyone has a PM727V and has taken the spindle apart all the way down to the bearings in the top side and can give me some information on this part, I would greatly appreciate it, this is the hub that houses the magnets for the RPM sensor ring. I contacted Precision Matthews to get a more detailed view of this model and they told me that they only have 1 parts book for both PM727M and PM727V although they are very different the looks are the same. My machine has parts that the PM727M does not have I would have thought that they would have at least made an effort to supply the owners with a small addition to the PM727M manual, but they didn't so when trying to modify this machine I'm on my own and I'm ok with that but the full parts list and owner's manual would have been right, so again if anyone has removed the top cover to the spindle on the PM727V and can tell me if the hub is made on the cover as a casting or if it is pressed on . I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Back