Spindle health assessment

durableoreo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My mill (G0755) spindle sometimes rattles. If I touch the spindle nose when this condition occurs, I can feel a slow lane amplitude vibration. Maybe less than 10 Hz. It usually shows up to when I'm using an endmill larger that 1/4" or drills larger that 3/8". When drilling, the rattle does not show up under all drilling conditions. If the feed is aggressive enough and the grind is fresh, no problem. Milling side ways always produces the rattle

I put an indicator on the spindle nose, when stationary, mag base on the spindle gearbox. If I push hard on the drill chuck (6" lever) I get 2.5 thou deflection but it only comes back to 1 thou. Same if I push. So some of the deflection is elastic and there's is a dead zone? An I right to interpret this as slop in the bearings?

The bearings are 30206-P5 and 30207-P5 tapered roller bearings

If I run at top speed 2000 RPM for 20 min, the spindle nose warms up to about 100 oF. It's very warm but you can hold your hand there. I've had the mill for about 2 years but i didn't notice at first. I do a lot with 1/4 endmill and smaller drills, which does not exasperat the problem. It may have gotten worse but I was so green back then that i don't trust my memory

I am not excited about tearing into this. It's it normal? More preload? New bearings? Any input is welcome.

Your measurement might be faulty since normally you have some quill movement w/ respect to the head casting
Did you lock the quill before taking the reading? Keep in mind that the quill lock might still allow
some quill movement in some directions
The ideal would be to fasten (somehow) the indicator to the quill itself

Last edited:
Your measurement might be faulty since you have quill movement

Good point. I measured again (2nd photo) and found about 0.000,075 in either direction with no dead zone. If there is any non-elastic movement, it is too small to measure this way.

I also measured the radial play. I could not measure any vertical deflection at all, even with the 50 millionths indicator, and prying as hard as I thought I could get away with.

OK, so that is consistent with the bearing temperature readings. But is there anything I can do to reduce the rattle? Is it possible that I'm causing the problem by running a tatty endmill for roughing? Or a few of my drills aren't cutting on both flutes?

mill_spindle_runout1.jpegmill_spindle_runout2.jpeg

The spec for spindle TIR on my heavy duty Sharp mill from the factory is .0002”
FYI.

Mine rattled from the splined draw bar, not the spindle.
This is a good point. I searched for other threads (listed below) and apparently NOISE is fairly common in these import mills, even PM mills.

Options:
  1. high-tack grease on the splines
  2. Keep the drawbar centered
  3. oil spindle bearings (if not greased)
  4. loose parts in the drive train, like idlers
  5. adjust lash of back gear (BP heads)
Other suggestions were to add flywheel before gearbox and upgrade to 3-phase motor, but those are upgrades, not fixes.

I looked at my roughing endmill under a microscope and 3 of the 4 corners were chowdered. After I replaced it, the noise was less but there's still a rattle. I'll modify the drawbar and grease the splines, too.

Back