Spindle drive gears on Atlas / Craftsman 12 x 36

Could you tell me what type of paint you used on your lathe? Looks like it's holding up good.
I'm not ready to paint anything yet...still have to strip the old paint off. I picked up an air needle scaler from HF after watching a few youtubes.
I've never seen one before but from the videos it looks to work great on paint and rust in hard to reach areas...like inside corners.

Rustoleum oil paint. Cleaned everywhere with mineral spirits first.

Hi....just joined up and my first post here.
I could really use some input here as to what type of gear drive setup this is on my lathe. Craftsman tag on the bed: 101.07403, 12 x 36.
Just picked it up about a week ago...but the seller didn't have any info on it. A renter skipped out on him in a hurry and left the big stuff behind...to cover the back rent I guess.
From what I can find on google images it looks as it should...except the spindle gear drive assembly. No one has an answer so far...so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this mystery.
Has anyone ever seen this setup on a lathe before?
I don't believe it's completely custom...as the outer support plate for the gear train is stamped steel and fairly thick.
The one gear has chipped teeth but it still ran quiet.
I've got it about half apart for inspection and then strip and paint. I'm not fixing it up to sell and I plan to use it.
Whatever lathe this gear drive is from...I'm pretty sure the speed and threading charts won't match up.

Any thoughts on this gear drive would help....as I am lost.
Thanks!
Bill
Hope everyone had a safe and merry Christmas!
I decided to get the parts needed to put the lathe back to stock...and keep the custom gear drive and QCGB as another option.
I searched images of QCGB's and could not find another one like it...searching other machines as well. I'll upload a few pics of it a little later.
I figured it might be best to just restore it back to the stock setup and see how she runs.

I have 2 questions, first : The change gear bracket L3-58M (banjo) I picked up came with the gear case L3-27 and stud L3-52A and 5 gears.
Where the screw gear was installed there was a 96T gear (?).
I haven't been able to find a reference to a 96 tooth gear being used...nothing on the gear chart.
Any thoughts?
Second : I picked up the reverse tumbler assembly. It was listed as a L6-21...but when I got it I had to take a hard look (paint was thick) and found that the "6" was a "3". So it's an L3-21. I've seen several listed as L6 and the photos show the "L3" right on the part they are selling.
So....is this the same part with an updated part # ? It seems to fit......but it looks like it's missing a spacer or something on the stud L3-47A.
Where the stud screws into the Headstock...there is a nut to lock it in place......but that leaves a gap between the nut and the tumbler assembly .....where the assembly is free to slide on the stud towards the Headstock. If I try to screw the stud further into the Headstock to take up the gap / play.....then the selector pin ends up to the right of the position holes.
When I look at the parts diagram for a 101.07403 it doesn't show the nut or a spacer on the stud - between the tumbler and the Headstock.
Any thoughts or ideas?
I was thinking of just using a double nut instead of just the single one.......or am I missing something here?
Thanks!
Bill

You have a lathe now. You can make any spacers and bushings you need to take up play and align gears. As long as all your gears mesh (same pitch) you're golden. Have some fun!

The 96 tooth were used on earlier machines. You should have 2 64s and a what is called a stud gear 16/32 set behind the spindle gear.

This topic may not reflect accurately your lathe!

Last edited:
You have a lathe now. You can make any spacers and bushings you need to take up play and align gears. As long as all your gears mesh (same pitch) you're golden. Have some fun!
She won't be up and running for a few months yet...got it all apart and stripping the paint now. Right now I'm just trying to make sure I have all the correct parts I'll need to put her back to original...except for the motor. I picked up a 2.5hp treadmill motor and controller and wanted to give that a try. I thought 2.5hp was a bit of overkill...but I've read that when you go from AC to a DC motor you need at least double the HP due to the torque differences.
I'm having fun doing the restoration work...but I can't wait to start making chips! I still have my old Unimat which works great for making small bushings and such.

The 96 tooth were used on earlier machines. You should have 2 64s and a what is called a stud gear 16/32 set behind the spindle gear.

This topic may not reflect accurately your lathe!
Thanks! I'll check it out for sure.
I've got the 2 64s. The "stud gear"...I'm not clear on. Is that the bottom combination gears on the reverse tumbler? If it is...I've got a 20/32 there and a 24 and 20 above that on the tumbler.
Looking at the threading chart the only gear I don't have that's listed is the 16T. All the gears I have are Zamak...can you run the new plastic gears with the old Zamak ones?
I did see a listing for a 50T and a 60T Zamak gears suppose to be used for metric threads and used with the QCGB on the later A/C's.
$70 bucks seemed a little high.

Thanks! I'll check it out for sure.
I've got the 2 64s. The "stud gear"...I'm not clear on. Is that the bottom combination gears on the reverse tumbler? If it is...I've got a 20/32 there and a 24 and 20 above that on the tumbler.
Looking at the threading chart the only gear I don't have that's listed is the 16T. All the gears I have are Zamak...can you run the new plastic gears with the old Zamak ones?
I did see a listing for a 50T and a 60T Zamak gears suppose to be used for metric threads and used with the QCGB on the later A/C's.
$70 bucks seemed a little high.
Just viewed the photo in the link you provided. Now I know what a stud gear is : )

Back