Spindle drive gears on Atlas / Craftsman 12 x 36

The stud gear is shown on the chart on the cover door. It is the combo below the tumbers. The first gear on the banjo uses either the 32 or 16 tooth to change the feeds. The far right column shows 32 or 16.

The stud gear is shown on the chart on the cover door. It is the combo below the tumbers. The first gear on the banjo uses either the 32 or 16 tooth to change the feeds. The far right column shows 32 or 16.
Thanks! I got it. Hey...I'm not the sharpest pen in the box.

Mass will dampen vibrations, that is for sure. When I had mine, it was bolted down to a wooden bench. See photo. There was a lot of steel etc in the drawers under the machine!
Yes the power crossfeed is a little quick and it can be tamed by using a larger gear than the 64s that were included. The older lathes had 96s but not the 16/32 stud gear behind the spindle. Order a similar gear or 3D printed one to reduce the feed rate. I believe that the slowest feed was 0.0017”, but don’t quote me on that!
Pierre

View attachment 387587
Hi Pierre....haven't been on here in months and the project has been on hold. Just started working on it again a few weeks ago.
Got the lathe bed stripped down and soda blasted it and ready for primer now.
Been thinking about you guys up there and my heart and prayers are with you all. Watched the videos of the truckers convoy in Ottawa...better days ARE coming my friend. We have about the same mess down here. Fear not - God wins!
Hope you and your family are doing well.
Bill

Back