Spindle Adapter

I now see what you are talking about. I've never ran across using one of these. As Bill said, if it's all good and square and running true it should work.
Sorry for the confusion. Learn something new today.

On wood lathe chucks (Nova, and on my 4 jaw scroll chuck made by WoodRiver) they use a large chuck ID thread and use replaceable threaded bushing inserts so you buy the correct one to fit your lathe. My wood lathe has a 1"-8 thread, but many use 1 1/2-8" spindle threads, and some older Walker Turner lathe have a 1"-11 thread.

At least on a wood lathe, the inserts work well. On both threaded surfaces the alignment is controlled by shoulders (per usual), not thread fit. In case you were curious :)

Thank you Randall, This forum has been great and I usually can find an answer without posting a question.
I guess I've been conditioned from being part of other groups to expect some impatience and ridicule from the more experienced. The world is getting less and less patient and encouraging but I certainly have not seen that here and I apologize for even anticipating it. You guys deserve better.
Thanks again

On wood lathe chucks (Nova, and on my 4 jaw scroll chuck made by WoodRiver) they use a large chuck ID thread and use replaceable threaded bushing inserts so you buy the correct one to fit your lathe. My wood lathe has a 1"-8 thread, but many use 1 1/2-8" spindle threads, and some older Walker Turner lathe have a 1"-11 thread.

At least on a wood lathe, the inserts work well. On both threaded surfaces the alignment is controlled by shoulders (per usual), not thread fit. In case you were curious :)

Andre,
Yes, I was wondering if the shoulder would maybe forgive the imperfections of my work. That's good to know. My lathe spindle is right at 2" and I wasn't able to find a bushing over 1-1/2. I think I'm gonna cinch up my big bot pants and try to expand my skill set on this one.

If I may, I would like to suggest practicing on a plastic type of material to hone your skill if you are unsure about single-pointing threads. The material might be less expensive and is surely more forgiving of something like a crash. I've used that in the past to good effect. Again, good luck!

Andre,
Yes, I was wondering if the shoulder would maybe forgive the imperfections of my work. That's good to know. My lathe spindle is right at 2" and I wasn't able to find a bushing over 1-1/2. I think I'm gonna cinch up my big bot pants and try to expand my skill set on this one.

Threads just hold the piece on, it's the shoulder that aligns everything. Make sure you add a small relief where the thread meets the shoulder. A radius or where the thread tapers off can prevent the shoulders sitting right and possibly causing a misalignment.

I don't know about other lathes out there, on my 9" South Bend lathe, it has 1-1/2-8 thread spindle. And at the back end of the thread next to the shoulder, is a OD turn that is about 1.504" in diameter by about 3/16" long. This is done so you machine a small counterbore about 1/4" deep x 1.505" diameter in the adapter or backplate. Doing this creates a register for the chuck back plate or adapter to locate on along with the face of the shoulder of the spindle when made up.

Ken, I had to read that several times before I understood it. Interesting
I'll have to look at the back plate on mine to see if it's the same.
Thanks

4gsr is right about the shoulder on the spindle. The shoulder is usually what will make the chuck run concentric with the spindle. The back face makes it run square to the spindle.

Back