Spent some time on my Walcott Lathe.

there seems to be some magic combination of key strokes on the page that erases everything you type. it has happened to me 3 times or more. It wont happen again.

Are you typing on a computer or laptop?
I Threaten my computer all the time, to put it in the dumpster. There are tons of computer gurus on the forum. Hopefully someone can help with your issue .

I have had that happen, sometimes it is found in "drafts".

I have learned to hit the "Save Draft" under the little floppy disc icon to the right side of the header when typing a post that's longer than a few words.

Here:
1681236029918.png

Brian

Nothing there. i have no idea which combination of keys erases everything, but its here. FWIW my crossfeed has always been hard to turn for no good reason, the ways are nice, the gibs are adjusted, even with the gibs loose, about 3 inches into the travel. i have scrubbed and oilt it, took it apart, the leadscrew is fine even when its tight the slack is easy So i took the chip cover / taper attachment part off and nothing there, just old grime. i did find evidence of an ancient chuck strike right in front of the way travel, so i stoned that and all the rest of the ways. Its far better now, but still a bit of resistance in the center of travel. and the gibs made no difference, loose or adjusted. i know my compound has some wear as its tight on the ends, but its all good i can live with that until I get it ground some day. i adjusted the gibs basically so its tight on the ends and decent in the middle, where it works mostly. And then, i have had this lathe a long time, and never looked at the taper unit. Since it was half apart i took it all loose, and cleaned the cross slide tube up, it slides good unlocked. i scrubbed the vernier scale clean, and the indicator face, I found the shoe was stuck in a sea of grime and 106 years of oily swarf. The machine has zero rust its all buried under grime, even the original paint is nice. So i cleaned the shoe track, and it works. Its an interesting mechanism, really, and i have the adjustable way anchor that makes the taper action possible. Once i get the slide way fully cleaned its useable. but i really dont want to "ungrime" this machine in its current location. IF I could it would be in my basement and scrubbed to surgical precision. Its just that cool. I keep it oiled and spray it down with gear lube 2-3 times a year. It should be in a museum. I have spun this old gal WAY too fast before with the geartrain in neutral, and its smooth as a baby ass. no vibration. i run the oilers wide open all the time, oil is cheap. I highly doubt there are many Teen era lathes in this good of condition, with the features this has. Industry leading enclosed gear train, quick change gear box, 4 speed lead screw, full power apron, taper, full oil pan, 2 speed back gear, It can cut 111 thread pitches. Did i mention i love this old machine? I seriously hope whoever ends up with it next keeps it safe and dry and that it still cuts steel when its 200 years old. 94 years to go.

i have posted pics before. I have no idea how this 1917 lathe went all those years in its original black paint. Most 20 year old machines are on the second repaint. i have both of the optional change gears to enable all the thread counts. some of the original wrenches, a steady rest, 16 in face plate, 12 inch drive plate, 3 tapers, the travel lock for the taper, and about 150 pounds of morse taper drill bits. It came with a jacobs chuck on a MT4, and i bought a 20N. i added a vintage 4 place quick change tool post, and replaced that tiny oiler on the chuck end bearing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190329_183227.jpg
    IMG_20190329_183227.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20190329_183244.jpg
    IMG_20190329_183244.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18
Back