Speeds & Feeds, what's the relationship?

I use a machinist calculator https://www.softsea.com/review/ME-Consultant.html

After inputting material and tool used, set your max RPM. It will then give you starting feed. Play with it from there.

Not positive, but I think it just scales down feed linearly to keep chip load constant.
Just to make sure I'm using this correctly. (Screenshot included for clarity)

1. I opened the tool, selected Aluminum then turning.
2. The automatically generated values populated based on the default parameters in the tool.
3. I changed the "RPM Limit" to a value of 1500 then clicked on the green square which changed everything based on my added rpm limit.
4. Which gives me a value of .0180 IPR
5. On the lathe with the 60T gear I would set the levers to "BDU" for a value of .0164 then work up from there until I get satisfactory chips. Or I could use the "BDR" for a slightly higher IPR.

Does this look correct? I know this may seem elementary to some, but I'd just like to make sure I'm doing everything correctly on my end. I was having some issues using the Machinery's Handbook to find speeds/feeds for some 12L14 I was practicing with. All of my calculations from there had suggested RPMs way over my machines capabilities. This calculator would solve that problem.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just to make sure I'm using this correctly. (Screenshot included for clarity)

1. I opened the tool, selected Aluminum then turning.
2. The automatically generated values populated based on the default parameters in the tool.
3. I changed the "RPM Limit" to a value of 1500 then clicked on the green square which changed everything based on my added rpm limit.
4. Which gives me a value of .0180 IPR
5. On the lathe with the 60T gear I would set the levers to "BDU" for a value of .0164 then work up from there until I get satisfactory chips and surface finish. Or I could use the "BDR" for a slightly higher IPR.

Does this look correct? I know this may seem elementary to some, but I'd just like to make sure I'm doing everything correctly on my end. I was having some issues using the Machinery's Handbook to find speeds/feeds for some 12L14 I was practicing with. All of my calculations from there had suggested RPMs way over my machines capabilities. This calculator would solve that problem.

I don't know about "correct", but .016 ipr sounds like a roughing cut to me. Rapid metal removal, groovy finish.
I could be wrong.

I don't know about "correct", but .016 ipr sounds like a roughing cut to me. Rapid metal removal, groovy finish.
I could be wrong.
That's a good point. I removed the surface finish part for clarity.

In my case, I'm working with a 0.004" nose radius (NR) tool, making a finishing cut.

Micro-100's speed & feed chart suggests 200 sfm for 12L14 steel , an IPR 25% of NR = 0.0010", and a Radial Depth of Cut (RDOC) <= 30% of NR = 0.0012". I set my rpm limit to 3000, the calculator says I need 2830 spindle rpm.

1709145880541.png

I changed the rpm limit to match my mini lathe, 2400, the calculator says I can only get to 170 sfm which isn't too far off.

1709146112593.png

Using the finish tool I set the NR to 0.005" (0.004" isn't a choice in the dropdown) and set the IPR to 0.0012". I should expect a surface finish of 10 micro inches, that would sure be nice :D .

1709146337262.png

I see you found the "finish" parameter.

I'll just mention it is a bit buggy on speeds. be sure and get everything right, then set speed limit last. In you post i see part diameter was left at 4.

Capture.JPG

Just thought I'd show an update here without creating a new thread. Used the ME-Consultant software for some 4140 stock I sourced. So far I've just played around with aluminum. I feel like it did a great job with the initial starting point. I could feel slight ridges in the finish. In the photo there is a layer of oil so it's a little shimmery. Round two the surface was very smooth, and you could only just see the "ridges". I almost feel like that would work for a finishing pass finish if I had better chip breakage. The third try I tried lowering the rpms just to see what would happen.

Any ideas for better chip control? Online research suggested different insert geometry. I also have a 5/8" HSS blank to start some tool grinding as well.

Pic 1- It says 1.25" dia, but the stock was closer to 1.51 inches in diameter.
IMG_4806 - Copy.JPGIMG_4807 - Copy.JPG

Round two - The line is where i paused to let the stringy chips break.
IMG_4808 - Copy.JPGIMG_4809 - Copy.JPG

Third try - Finish slightly worse than second try, and chips were veery long
IMG_4811 - Copy.JPGIMG_4810 - Copy.JPG

Just thought I'd show an update here without creating a new thread. Used the ME-Consultant software for some 4140 stock I sourced. So far I've just played around with aluminum. I feel like it did a great job with the initial starting point. I could feel slight ridges in the finish. In the photo there is a layer of oil so it's a little shimmery. Round two the surface was very smooth, and you could only just see the "ridges". I almost feel like that would work for a finishing pass finish if I had better chip breakage. The third try I tried lowering the rpms just to see what would happen.

Any ideas for better chip control? Online research suggested different insert geometry. I also have a 5/8" HSS blank to start some tool grinding as well.

View attachment 481075View attachment 481076

View attachment 481077View attachment 481078

View attachment 481079View attachment 481080

View attachment 481075View attachment 481076

View attachment 481077View attachment 481078

View attachment 481079View attachment 481080
That's a real nice looking finish! It's hard to know from internet images but it comes closest to 125 micro-inches on my gage.

That's a real nice looking finish! It's hard to know from internet images but it comes closest to 125 micro-inches on my gage.
Thanks,

It's hard to know what a realistic finish looks like when all you have are videos and photos to compare to.

Check out FSWizard on the app stores. I use the pro version. Very handy.

Another simple calculator is on the Little Machine Shop’s website.

But I prefer to use excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back