Speed Using Hss Tools

taycat

Registered
Registered
was recomended to get some hss cutting tools instead of using tips.
i cant get decent finish what sort of speed should i be running at?
just turning normal mild steel.

thanks

It depends on the diameter of the workpiece. Other things to consider are clamping and length of the workpiece, supported or unsupported. Machining speed charts are expressed in SFM (Surface feet/minute) which you convert to RPM.

What shape tool are you using? I mostly use a rouging tool shape with a little nose radius.

Stuart

Let's start at the beginning.

Why was the HSS recommended and what material are you cutting.

"Billy G"

You do know the hss needs to be ground to shape before you can use it? Not trying to be An ass but i have seen people try using them as they come.

Randy why is carbide the same speed for aluminum as HSS in the purple mill chart above..... seems odd to me.

michael

guy at club recommended them said better than tipped tooling.
they are ready shaped and for use according to info in catalogue.
and just mild steel for the cutting.

Taycat,
Print yourself out a good chart with 'surface feet per minute' (SFM) or a chart like above for different material and put it next to your machine. I prefer a chart with SFM. Then you can just use the formula to figure what RPM you should use. If you use the chart above, take out the step of multiplying by 3.42.

SFM*3.42/Dia of work piece or for milling SFM*3.42/dia of tool.

But remember this is just a guide line, like mentioned above the RPM could vary because of setup, safety, machine rigidity, ect. So if you had HSS tooling cutting .75" dia mild steel barstock. I would start with 60SFM, so 60*3.42/.75 = 273.6 RPM. I would go to the closest speed your machine has without going over and then adjust from there.

Bryan

Randy,

Thanks for the Handy Chart.
I suspect the same speed for aluminum with HSS or carbide is because that is the maximum speed of the lathe or mill. Or maybe carbide and HSS both get galled at the same speed on Al?

Back