Speed Handles for Milling Vises?

PM sent. Darkzero
CH

>>I have some listed in the classifieds (shameless plug)<<

MSC part #42052845 is the 5/8 three-spoke handle. That's the style I use, too - I added a "speed knob" to mine, so get speed and torque as needed:

speedknob.jpg

I have an older Universal Vise & Tool milling vise with a 0.5" square stud and a missing handle. I've been making due with an 8-pt socket and a breaker bar, but seeing all these nice options for a vise handle is making me realize all the fun I'm missing.

Does anyone have ideas on how I might be able to get a better handle on my problem? Are the types of handles in this thread ever available with a 0.5" square socket?

I'd been thinking of buying a handle with a hex socket, drilling it out and pressing in a square sleeve, but it'd be nice to avoid that and not add another project to The List. :)

Thanks!

Hannes.

I'd been thinking of buying a handle with a hex socket, drilling it out and pressing in a square sleeve, but it'd be nice to avoid that and not add another project to The List. :)

Thanks!

Hannes.
That sounds like a very quick and simple solution. I'd just use a square or 8-point socket for the sleeve.

Ken

I have an older Universal Vise & Tool milling vise with a 0.5" square stud and a missing handle. I've been making due with an 8-pt socket and a breaker bar, but seeing all these nice options for a vise handle is making me realize all the fun I'm missing.

Does anyone have ideas on how I might be able to get a better handle on my problem? Are the types of handles in this thread ever available with a 0.5" square socket?

Thanks!

Hannes.

Take a couple of flat bars, cut a 0.5" dado on them, couple them together with screws and you'll have a handle with a square hole. Done that for a door handle… it works smoothly.

My vise has a 5/8"? square handle lug. I couldn't get a new handle if I wanted too, but the one that's on it is fine because I don't work with wide stock.

I've been needing to scrape that vise too.

Thanks!

Hannes.

If you need a 0.5 square socket then buy a 0.5 drive socket

Mine is 9/16" (if I recall) so I made one too. But I prefer the spoke style.

View attachment 75178

The weight at the outside seems to facilitate a speedy movement of the jaw. Nothing but a bolt head, some scrap and a socket from ACE.

-Ryan

I like this design a lot. Functional, fairly straight forward project and cost effective.

Nice one.

Si...

Back