Specialty Screw Clamps, By Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
At my day job,
i work with sharpening equipment for various types of blades used in the processing and packaging of meat, nut, and vegetable products that we all consume daily.
chances are good (if you lived in the United States in the last 30 years) that you have eaten something that has been processed or packaged in one of the machines that i service/or have serviced.
Handling items to be sharpened, or have been sharpened, has always been cause for concern.

one blade in particular is made in Germany by the Treif Corporation
it weighs in around 10 lbs and is 2 feet across at the widest point.
($2,200.00 USD)
1574300153766.png

with the mass, it could sever a hand from a wrist, or separate toes from a foot :eek:

to prevent this kinda thing, i designed and built a pair of screw clamps to hold the blade securely for handling and honing the blade.

IMG_3739.jpgIMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3737.jpgIMG_3738.jpg

the handles are 7075 aluminum, the Screw portion is T14x3.0 Left Hand Trapezoidal Pitch rod.
the clamp heads are 303 Stainless Steel.

the Handles are 1.125" diameter (at the knurled portion), the assembled length is 7"

it took less than 3 hours to complete, for a lifetime of safety.

the grip factor is ridiculous! :grin:
the left hand threads seat the intended material firmly against the clamp.

as always thanks for reading!

Not only well done, Mike, but very well conceived! Great job!!

Curious why you choose that type of thread? I see were you state they seat the blade firmly against the clamp but couldn't the same be said of a rt hand thread?

Far out! My dad's uncle was a high end tool and die maker that used to fly all over the country doing unusual jobs. One of his stories was about getting the contract to build the first spiral ham cutting machine. I always wondered what that looked like, a machine that could chuck up irregular pieces and make a uniform type of cut. I bet you see some far out machinery in your line of work!

Looks good UD! That’s the same idea/principal the clock repair folks are using on clock plate clamps. They don’t sharpen the plates LOL, but use the clamps for supporting the plates for better working conditions.
Just wondering? Why the left hand threads?

Back