Southbend 9 x 48 - How worn is too worn?

I finally got the motor assy. disassembled today. Thanks to the genius who pounded the head of the pin though the pulley, and then mushroomed the small end trying to push it back. Luckily I noticed the pulley was cracked on what appeared to be the small end (really the fat one) before I wasted any time.

Tip for those who don't know. Your local ACE Hardware carries a full line of tapered pins!

I got enough of the paint off the motor plate to see its a 1/3HP. That can't possibly be enough to run a 9" can it? Much respect to antique engineering if it is, I've got a new sealed 1HP laying around somewhere if it isn't, but it's really making me think twice about that DC motor.

Tip for those who don't know. Your local ACE Hardware carries a full line of tapered pins!

It depends on the store, since most ACE stores are privately owned. If the fastener company supplying them is Hillman then chances are good they'll have them. What they don't have is metal dowel pins. I've not seen them in any ACE store yet.

It depends on the store, since most ACE stores are privately owned. If the fastener company supplying them is Hillman then chances are good they'll have them. What they don't have is metal dowel pins. I've not seen them in any ACE store yet.

Good to know, thanks for the clarification. I was shocked to see them, and dissapointed to see they did not have oiler cups. They had a 20% off anything you can fit in a bag day, so i went and swapped out all those evil flathead screws. Came up short on the gib screws, and oilers, but walked out with new pins.

"Dowel" as in straight pin, or is there something else?

My new spindle thrust bearing came in today (the one that goes between main bearings). It was unfortunately the wrong size by a long shot. I was going to replace it just for the sake of certainty, but after talking to my usual salesperson, it turns out its hard to find, and will cost $80-$100! I'm wondering now if anyone has found a better source, or if it's even worth replacing if mine feels smooth?

Also wondering of anyone else has the same illness I do, in hating flat head screws? I've easily found good replacements for all but one item. Those damn gib screws! I have 2 options but both require bulk orders. I like the idea of being able to lock them, so I found a 3/4" long AND a 1" long option so I could put a lock nut on the end. I have to buy 100-300 of them depending where I get them from though. Have any of you found a good source for these? If not, how many of you would be interested in such an alteration? I would consider making up a little kit and making them available to our members if enough were interested to justify the bulk. It might be that I am alone in my hatred of the ancient slotted screw!

Re: 1946 Southbend 9" Model A Restoration

I have mine back at the shop still, it's cut but I'll measure when I get back if nobody else has answered. I've read that correct belt length is important to these lathes running vibe free. Chad
Hi Chad,

No comment from anyone yet re V-Belt length for horizontal drive. I got my repair manual last week but it's all for the flat belt version! Would you mind measuring your belt or often the size is moulded into it. TIA.

It would be interesting to know if all SB9" have the same size belt. At the moment my old belt is a B-51.

I'm sure glad I got the felt kit after seeing your spindle wicks. It will be interesting to see what my wicks look like, knowing that it's a one owner lathe and was always oiled. My father fitted brass wick-feed oil cups at some stage, presumably while the spindle was out for a belt change. Maybe he didn't trust the standard setup!

Regards, RossG
radial1951
______________DSCF8040 zoom.JPG

DSCF8040 zoom.JPG

Hi Chad,

No comment from anyone yet re V-Belt length for horizontal drive.
______________View attachment 48181

You are absolutely right! I'm headed home right now, I'll grab it on the way in.

I'll be interested to see how your wicks have faired being a "well cared for" lathe. I suspect it's more like a vehicle only with lower temps... use makes oil dirty.

Does anybody know the correct V-Belt size to use from the countershaft to spindle on a horizontal drive bench model SB9".
Regards, RossG
ragial1951

Mine as it came on a custom mount, was 5/8" x 47", too worn to read any markings though. Hard to say if that was the original size or not. I remember reading in a few places that the belt length was important to running vibration free, and B51/B52 seem to be the most common sizes on stock mounts with the correct mounting relationship to bed foot. I've also read from users who talked directly to southbend that 40" to 42" is correct. I would say that mine is probably long for the haul, there is a second coupling nut, and piece of all thread added to the linkage on mine, presumably to take up the additional length. Hope it helps!

Last bath for almost everything!

77471A14-3464-4DAE-9BB1-8B00F533824D-502-0000000F04CEE4F5.jpg

Just have 2 parts I think are too far gone to keep. Half nuts have almost nothing left, and the spindle where all the change gears stack up. Hard to see here but it's pretty ribbed up.

A645BB78-3E71-43E9-8065-09D41AF30A1B-502-0000000EBDDCE7EC.jpg

Re: Southbend 9 x 48 - Correct V-Belt length?

Mine as it came on a custom mount, was 5/8" x 47", too worn to read any markings though. Hard to say if that was the original size or not. I remember reading in a few places that the belt length was important to running vibration free, and B51/B52 seem to be the most common sizes on stock mounts with the correct mounting relationship to bed foot. I've also read from users who talked directly to southbend that 40" to 42" is correct. I would say that mine is probably long for the haul, there is a second coupling nut, and piece of all thread added to the linkage on mine, presumably to take up the additional length. Hope it helps!
Thanks for that. Can't imagine there being such a big variation for what is a "standard" setup. Perhaps the 1/2hp motor needs more clearance behind the lathe ? Your B-47 to my B-51 is only 2" more centre distance, seems logical...

As my lathe was on its bench since new in 1947, I guess it had the correct length V-belt. The bench was scrapped 18 months ago, full of borers, no measurements taken (of course).

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

I say if it didn't slip, had enough power, and didn't shake th pictures off the wall... You're probably OK. To be fair though, I know almost nothing about these. Mine may blow up when I get it back together for all we know LOL.

Back