Southbend 5

Re: Southbend 5"x6" Horizontal/Veritcal Bandsaw FAIL

I sympathize with you. I'm no fan of warranties, however. In such a case, I would have made a bushing at the outset. If I understand the problem, it's an oil-lite bushing. You could probably pop one of those out in 15 minutes on a lathe.

Would you like to hear a warranty story? Sure you would. LOL.

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota that I bought new. I also bought the extended warranty which was 7 years or 100K miles. The standard warranty was shorter but that's not the issue.

At approximately 30K miles, I was about three miles from home when I heard a pop from the front end. The left side of the hood dropped an inch or two and there was a terrible screeching noise. I stopped and examined the left front wheel. The wheel was on an angle. Since it appeared that the damage was done, I simply drove home, screeching all the way.

When I got the truck jacked up and the wheel off, I discovered that the left front hub which contains a back to back sealed Timken bearing had lost its inner race. It had broken to pieces. Next day, I called the dealer and had them check for coverage. I also looked at my so-called warranty. No coverage for rotating wheel hubs. I ordered one from a dealer and paid a premium for overnight shipment. It didn't show up when needed. At the third day, I drove my car to a wrecking yard and bought a used one. It's still on there 90K miles later and I also have a new spare which showed up two weeks late. They refunded my shipping for the overnight that never came. No more extended warranties for me.

By the way, it also destroyed the left front brake disc. No coverage for those either. I replaced both front discs with new pads and went about my business. LOL.

I'd bet that once you get a new bushing in that machine, it will never break again. I'd make my own, but you are the boss.

Good luck. :)

Re: Southbend 5"x6" Horizontal/Veritcal Bandsaw FAIL

i think a company buying a name that is recognized in the machine tool industry as a American made product that has earned its reputation in America and in American history, then sticking that bought name on a piece of import equipment to be able to to sell it at a higher cost, is false and misleading advertisement..

i was thinking about buying a grizzly saw, but after learning the owner was doing that to the South Bend name, i see it as blatant false advertisement and they arent getting my money just for the fact..

i still would like to buy a real south bend lathe someday when my money is better..

Back