South Bend Model A, 4-1/2' bed repairs. I'm not sure what this is underside of bed.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm finally getting back to work on a SB model A with a 4-1/2' bed. I was setting it on the bench and noticed a machined flat spot on the underside of the bed. It almost looks like it had a center leg for added support.IMG_3312.JPG
It's definitely a shiney machined flat spot at the center of the bed. You can see in the pic what I'm talking about and I'm pretty sure my SB 3-1/2' bed does not have this. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's another pic of just the center flat I'm talking about. Its definitely a machined surface and its in line/level with the two outboard feet casting mounts. .IMG_3310.JPG

Looks to me like additional support for the ways. Otherwise it could conceivably sag in the middle. Though I don't recall seeing it elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yeah but it's only 4 1/2feet?
Interesting.

That's what it looks like to me also Craptain. I'm wondering if this is only on the 4-1/2' beds "?
It is a War Time lathe with the W.E.F stamp plus the tag showing it has the War finish.
FWIW... I bought this lathe knowing it was dropped and it had a broken tailstock side cast iron foot. Also cracked one of the spring loaded OCGB adjusting arms. I've fixed that and overhauled the QCGB and repaired a broken tooth on the bull gear. I still need to get the tailstock side foot. But I'm just a little befuddled at this center machined surface on underside of the bed. It's obviously a shiney machined surface on the underside of the bed and it's at the same level as the mounting legs of the casting.

OK...that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Since I purchase a basket case, I was concerned I may be missing something. And I was at a loss what it could be since I've never seen a pic of a SB 9" with a third support. Thanks again.

John is correct.....my heavy 10" has the same bosses...

Back