South Bend Mill & Tooling / #30 Taper

kubes

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
All,
I am looking at a South Bend milling machine that is local to me. The overall machine seems okay. I have been looking for a smaller knee mill. One of the issues with this machine is that there is no tooling at all. it is long gone. (I guess scraped ;( ). The manual states is a No 30 Milling Machine Taper. Is there a modern equivalence? How is the taper held into the spindle,? Can tolling still be purchased? The manual states is a #30 Milling Machine Taper. Is there a modern equivalence? Other ideas? Of course, looking to keep the costs of tooling down. Please any ideas or comments are welcome.

Also open to other comments about these mills.

Thanks!!!!!

I believe the collets you will need are called BT30. Readily available.

Cutting oil is my blood.

What does BT30 mean?
When you start working with larger, more powerful tool changer spindles, especially in the CNC router world, many spindles will use a 30 taper tool holder. This refers to the taper angle of the cone on the holder. 30 taper tool holders are very common and are usually referred to as a BT30 or an ISO30
(from the web)

With an adapter like this you could use standard ER series collets: (there may be even cheaper ones, this is just the first one I saw)
And remember that you would only need a couple of collet sizes to get started- 1/2" and 3/8" for example

Last edited:
South Bend wasn't known for making milling machines but the few they did make would be great for hobby use if in good shape
-M

What does BT30 mean?

When you start working with larger, more powerful tool changer spindles, especially in the CNC router world, many spindles will use a 30 taper tool holder. This refers to the taper angle of the cone on the holder. 30 taper tool holders are very common and are usually referred to as a BT30 or an ISO30

(from the web)

with an adapter like this you could use standard ER series collets: (there may be even cheaper ones, this is just the first one I saw)
And remember that you would only need a couple of collet sizes to get started- 1/2" and 3/8" for example

Here you go.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have two mills that take 30 taper tooling, and I like it much better than R8, they are held in by a threaded drawbar and are more convenient to change than R8 due to the fact that they are shorter and due to the steep taper and short length, they change out without having to lower the table or move away from the vise or other fixturing. I was able to find quite a bit of tooling at E Bay for cheap.

Hmm, I’m seeing a bunch of information that suggests it’s a “30MM” taper which isn’t exactly the same as the commonly available ones now. Something to do with how the flange is configured and also the use of a couple of set screws. But, apparently not hard to modify common ones to work. There is some discussion that goes into more detail on one of the other very popular machinist sites.IMG_2035.pngIMG_2036.pngIMG_2037.pngIMG_2038.png

Last edited:
BT holders have a Vee groove in the flange for tool changers on CNC machines and do not have the extended snout on the small end of the taper for the drawbar, the thread size is the same, only since the snout is absent, a longer drawbar may be necessary to use them, The taper on the BT and the ISO are the same and may be used interchangeably on manual machines.

Here is an easy way to get going quickly. Just buy this and some ER collets. Your draw bar should be 12mm I believe.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back