South Bend Mill Dovetail Lube & CE1603, CE1600

kubes

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a few related questions relating to the correct lubrication of South Bend Vertical Mill:

1) The South Bend Lubiracting Chart (attached) says to use "No 2 Soda Soap Grease or Petroleum Jelly" for the dovetails/ways. I know that for Bridgeports, using grease is a big no-no, and they recommend oil. I know this is an old manual, but why grease? I am thinking of using ISO 68 way oil, Mobile Vactra #2, which I use for my Clausing Lathe ways; thoughts?

2) For CE1603 for the screws, table feed bearings, and overarm, I believe again, an ISO68, like Mobile Vactra #2 is a current replacement?

3) For the quill bearings, SB recommended CE1600. Is Mobile Velocite No.10 a proper replacement?

Thanks for the help!!!!

1683738463102.png

Last edited:
The CE1600 is called Type A spindle lube with Saybolt rating = 100 sec.
The CE1603 is Type C with Saybolt rating = 250-500 sec.

According to the chart I have Type A is sightly thinner than ISO 22 which is about the same as 5W or 0W engine oil.
Type C is roughly in the ISO 50 to 100 range or 20W to 30W engine oil.

I think you are on the right track. As a friend says, even the "wrong" oil is better than NO oil!

Wild, "soda soap" grease is currently called NGLI#2, definitely what we think of as grease! I have seen #2 for ways here and there in machine manuals, as well as MOS grease. Not for an open and exposed system, uh-uh!

The screws and ways will both be happy with Vactra #2, just like every one-shot and automatic oiler ever installed on a milling machine uses.

On the quill bearings, they're specifying a thinner oil (CE1600) that is most often spec'd as Velocite #4 by Bridgeport. It's more important that the oil is there rather than not, and avoiding EP chlorines and anticorrosion sulfur additives, rather than searching the earth for an ideal spec match. Petrochemicals are not exact products, never have been.

The CE1600 is called Type A spindle lube with Saybolt rating = 100 sec.
The CE1603 is Type C with Saybolt rating = 250-500 sec.

According to the chart I have Type A is sightly thinner than ISO 22 which is about the same as 5W or 0W engine oil.
Type C is roughly in the ISO 50 to 100 range or 20W to 30W engine oil.

I think you are on the right track. As a friend says, even the "wrong" oil is better than NO oil!
Thanks!
Wild, "soda soap" grease is currently called NGLI#2, definitely what we think of as grease! I have seen #2 for ways here and there in machine manuals, as well as MOS grease. Not for an open and exposed system, uh-uh!

The screws and ways will both be happy with Vactra #2, just like every one-shot and automatic oiler ever installed on a milling machine uses.

On the quill bearings, they're specifying a thinner oil (CE1600) that is most often spec'd as Velocite #4 by Bridgeport. It's more important that the oil is there rather than not, and avoiding EP chlorines and anticorrosion sulfur additives, rather than searching the earth for an ideal spec match. Petrochemicals are not exact products, never have been.Good advise

Back