South Bend lathe Minneapolis area. Looks beautiful.

If someone want to buy and deliver it for me, I would be forever grateful.

I contacted the seller and asked him about the MN Navy.
His response:
Yes, there was MN navy. Ships and submarines named Minnesota used by the Navy.
Any other questions or concerns?

Yeah, I contacted him too. When I asked about the model, which was on the posting, he said he could not remember. Seems that if you work on a machine for 10 months as his ad says, you would remember the model. Also, asked him the weight. 1500lbs was his response, which I knew immediately was way off. I looked it up in an old SB catalog online and it is 2700lbs.
Not real sure about this...

For that kind of money your getting close to a modern, gear-head machine with central lube and metric threading. Something like a Clausing-Colchester or Cadillac comes to mind. It is a classic though.....

Last edited:
That is the problem that I have... not enough knowledge regarding American made machines to know what to look for.

I contacted the seller and asked him about the MN Navy.
His response:
Yes, there was MN navy. Ships and submarines named Minnesota used by the Navy.
Any other questions or concerns?
In that case, a lot of states had navies. Arizona, and Wisconsin come to mind. And Carl Vinson, bob Hope, and many others must have had private navies.

I do know that at one time, many states did have a sort of version of a Navy National Guard.

I think that the seller has a fair amount of BS coming out of him.

Some interesting information I came across though was that the spindle on those lathes used sleeve bearings. In the South Bend catalog, they tout the sleeve bearings as extremely smooth running to minimize any marks during machining. I wonder how long those sleeve bearings last and what the process is for replacing them.

Back