South Bend lathe chuck parts

Wally96

Registered
Registered
Greetings,

I purchased a 13x70 SB lathe from a music shop that had purchased it new. The owner told me it was for turning the ends of new wooden parts for various instruments. He said it was used twice a year and never made a metal chip.

The 3 jaw chuck was attached and there was a brand new 4 jaw independent with cam lock in the original box wrapped in oily paper. I installed the cam lock pins but I am missing the 3 SHCS. They appear to be 1/4"x1/2" NF? the instructions do not mention the size but says it uses a 6mm wrench.

Any ideas on what to purchase.

Thank you!

If it takes a metric hex wrench they are metric screws. M6 x 1 is a very common size and is slightly smaller than 1/4 in.

If it takes a metric hex wrench they are metric screws. M6 x 1 is a very common size and is slightly smaller than 1/4 in.
That's true, but it would have been very uncommon for SB to use metric screws on one of their 13" lathes. Perhaps the chuck is built overseas? Drag it down to HD and see if you can find what screw it uses. Then buy those.

That's true, but it would have been very uncommon for SB to use metric screws on one of their 13" lathes. Perhaps the chuck is built overseas? Drag it down to HD and see if you can find what screw it uses. Then buy those.
Could it be one of those newer Asian made SBs, or at least the chuck?

a 6mm (.23622") hex wrench is very close in size to a 1/4"(>.250") hex wrench

they very well could be 1/4"-24NF threads on the set screws, they are rare but i have seen them
but they take a 5/32 or 3/16" hex keys

in my experience, 1/4" hex keys generally go with 3/8"( and sometimes 7/16") set screws

Last edited:
... the instructions do not mention the size but says it uses a 6mm wrench.

Any ideas on what to purchase.

Thank you!

A 6mm allen wrench would be bog standard for an M8 socket head cap screw... Metric standard sizes have choices in the thread pitch.

You could make a lot of guesses about it, but I'd match it up....

A 6mm allen wrench would be bog standard for an M8 socket head cap screw... Metric standard sizes have choices in the thread pitch.

You could make a lot of guesses about it, but I'd match it up....
When I had to redraw a bunch of Japanese drawings, I learned a lot.
The "coarse" and "fine" designations we are familiar with in the U.S. do no apply.
The metric system has one "preferred" pitch for each diameter and multiple other acceptable combinations.
Usually the preferred pitch is the coarsest acceptable, but not always.
The preferred combinations I remember are M4x.7, M5x.8, M6x1.0, M8x1.25, M10x1.5, M12x1.75.
These preferred sizes will appear on drawings without the pitch being specified, eg. M4, M5, M6

Prior to international standardization under ISO there were a few different metric thread systems, so older equipment may have fasteners that don't comply with current standards.

Last edited:
If SHCS calls for 6mm Allen, the usual standard would be 8mmx 1.25 mm pitch.

f83f4acc136716840cc299f73b38dfbf.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back