South Bend Hand Collet Closer ?

clm1899

Registered
Registered
Recently I bought another heavy 10 lathe that has this collet closer. I know the knurled end piece is missing, which i will make a new one. My question is, what’s this pin for, or did someone add it at some point for some reason? It was pressed in. Thanks for insight.

Attachments

• 5DEFE537-0546-4FE6-BAC3-C8C1B468741F.jpeg
    5DEFE537-0546-4FE6-BAC3-C8C1B468741F.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 16
That looks like a lever-action collet closer that is missing some pieces, including the lever. A hand-wheel closer doesn't have all the extra stuff.

WP_20180213_07_58_26_Pro.jpg

I have all the other stuff, just asking about the pin in photo is all.

Hmm, I don't know, don't have, but my guess is that pin should be facing the opposite way into the bearing housing. I would guess it holds that part from moving so the shaft can spin inside without loosening the works while under power.

I’m not familiar with the south bend collet closer, but looks similar to my Logan collet closer.

Does the pin move in and out?

Mine uses a pin which will set into a ring with 50 holes to “lock” the collet at the desired tension.

The pin is supposed to be there, mine has it. It allows the inner knurled collar to slide back and forth without rotating. Don't ask me why, I don't understand all I know.

20230902_084107[1].jpg

The pin is supposed to be there, mine has it. It allows the inner knurled collar to slide back and forth without rotating. Don't ask me why, I don't understand all I know.

View attachment 458881
That makes perfect sense, I’m guessing there’s a series of holes on the inside face to lock knob from turning once tightened to desired tension.

That makes perfect sense, I’m guessing there’s a series of holes on the inside face to lock knob from turning once tightened to desired tension.
if yo could send me some dimensions of yours I would appreciate it. Should be a fun little project to make one.

No, there are no extra holes. The pin remains engaged, it just allows the inner collar to slide back and forth without rotating.

if yo could send me some dimensions of yours I would appreciate it. Should be a fun little project to make one.
Be glad to get whatever I can without disassembly. What part(s) do you need?

Back