South Bend 9A, First Lathe and Restoration

Suprman - Its stock as far as I know. The prior owner(s) definitely did some funny things to this lathe like tapping holes in odd places in the headstock and removing the countershaft (which I was able to find and install a replacement). So, I wouldn't be surprised if its not the original, but it wasn't anything I modified. I have seen some other cross slide castings that are longer. But, long run I don't think it will matter, as I plan to replace that casting with the MLA T-Slot cross slide eventually. Honestly I never even considered that someone would have modified that part.. But what you say makes sense now that I think about it. It is annoying how much swarf gets in there.

Some of the other projects I have planned or am in progress on:

1. Finish the cleanup and paint of a lever 3c collet closer (Christmas gift)
2. Restore and paint my steady rest (other Christmas gift)
3. MLA T-Slot Cross Slide
4. Scrape flat compound and cross slide faces (intro scraping projects)
5. Make new Large Dial Direct read cross slide dial to replace crappy non stock one on there now.
6. Add replacement Acme screw for the cross feed, and install new cross feed nut. The current screw and nut are fairly worn. I have the acme section, but screwed up the dial retention screw threads..

I'll try to update this post with new additions as they are completed or something interesting enough to post happens.

I'm tracking down what sounds like a South Bend lathe like this, and I'm curious what you had to pay for the lathe itself, to give me an idea of what I should offer for the one I'm interested in. Thanks!

WisJim - I paid $700, and no tooling to speak of.. A little high maybe compared to some deals I've seen, and considering it was missing the horizontal drive assembly. I missed out on a deal for $350 for a similar lathe, but totally in pieces. Overall, I am ok with it. Other than some wear on the ways at the headstock, and one chip on an idler gear tooth, its in pretty solid condition. There is another one for sale locally for $600 right now if that is any help.

So, adding in a new motor, horizontal drive, VFD, wiring etc I am close to $1000, not counting any tooling.

I finally had some time to update this thread. Got my Lever collet closer refinished, painted and installed. Love it! Collets Rock! Too bad 3C only goes to 1/2, but I have a full set in 32nds to 1/2.

20151231_161937.jpeg 20151231_162002.jpeg

You've really done a nice job on the rehab. Hard to beat oil based paint. Mike

Nice job with the rebuild. I noticed in a couple of the recent photos that the cross-slide looks a little stubby, like the end was cut off. Is that a modification you made? Usually they have more metal extending over the cross-slide ways.

Maybe there used to be a mill head attached to rear of bed and the cross slide was trimmed for clearance?

New Project Complete and operational. Just a baby project, but fun. MLA-8 Indicator and Saddle stop. With custom matching SB style locking bolt.

MLA Indicator Holder Finished.jpeg

While I have a chance to update the thread, which hopefully will be ongoing as I fix or improve my lathe, I thought I'd share one fix I've been working on. If you look at the original pics, I have a few problems.

First and foremost to the usability of the lathe is the cross slide. Somehow, bubba PO had decided it was a good idea to replace the original large dial with an even larger one. So, they created some sort of delrin ring and pressed it over the original dial. AND decided to enlarge the cross slide bushing with an aluminum disk to match. Also, there was no way to set the dial to zero. It was locked and would not move.

So, as I attempted to dissemble and assess. When I restored the lathe I could not get the cross feed screw off at all. So, I left it. Well, it would NOT come off. Now I had another problem.

CrossSlide Problem.jpeg

As you can see (along with the crappy dial improvements), I buggered up the threads using a puller. The just folded.

So, I turned a replacement section out of 1144, with a .249" tang and bored out the original screw to .250" . Milled out a pocket to match the round key (.125"), pressed and used green loctite to secure it.

CSScrewThread.jpeg

Prior to this fix, but after swearing for several hours, I was able to get the rest of the assembly apart. And I realized I will have to remake most of everything to get it right. So, I jumped in. First off is the replacement cross slide bushing.

First the old. Here you can see the aluminum disk (turned down to original diameter, I used the lathe like this while fixing the rest). The rest of the bushing is beat up, and I lost the index 0 mark.

CS Bush old.jpeg

Started roughing out the stock.
CS Bush First op.jpeg

Narrowing in on dimensions, and thread 3/4"-16

CSBush threaded.jpeg

Sweet! It fits. ( I used thread wires to measure).

CSBush Fits.jpeg

I then flipped it around, re-indicated it in. Now time to face, drill, ream to .375, and counterbore for thrust bearings.
CrossSlideBushing.jpeg

Here is where she sits now. I have more done, but nothing documented yet. Next to come. Made a replacement "CF" Bushing to hold in the bearing.

Next up.
1. Engrave 0 and center hash
2. Pin CF bushing to leadscrew.
3. Install replacement acme thread.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thanks to all kind words so far.

Back