South Bend 10K (I think) "Tool Gloat"

Flatfendershop, Thanks for the info on the switch knob.
I had to make a part yesterday and got to use the DRO with it's tiny display yesterday and it made the job quicker.
I still need to get the other scale mounted (still working on the best way)
and I need to finish up on the Touchpad display so these old eyes can see it better.
The Arduino interface should have a faster refresh rate than the iGaging display does.
If I'm not mistaken the iGaging refreshes 3 times a second and you can really tell on the faster cuts.
I'm hoping the refresh rate isn't set by the read head.

Maxx

Flatfendershop: I have no idea if I have the correct switch or not. I am so new to this hobby. I'm starting my research hear on the forum and net. Wish me luck! And thank you.......

jster, yours may be right and I suspect it would look different seeing as yours is 3 phase, mine is 110v single phase.
I am by far no expert, I just noticed that you had a handle where mine has a more like a knob than a handle.

All three of our 10K machines have the same switch. The knob on Maxx's switch is the correct original. The switch is set up internally to be used with 3 phase or single phase power input and load (motor). If you ever open it up you will see how they've done it, clever but a little complicated. Make sure you are careful where all the springs and contacts go!

10K machines with the underdrive were designed for school type settings. If yours is still set up correctly, you will notice the gear and headstock covers can't be opened until the drive belt is disengaged - safer that way. I was associated with the school mine came out of. They would have a lathe unit in shop class that lasted for 3 weeks, then the machines were put away until the next year. When mine went up for public auction I knew months ahead of time I was going to buy it. I arrived early for the auction. When my lathe went up on the block, I was the only bidder. It was a good day.

Yup, loosen belt then you have to raise the headstock cover to open the gear side cover.
I need to get/make a 5C collect chuck one of these days.

Maxx, old_dave, shawn: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I knew someone would know this lathe! I started my research, but wasn't having a lot of luck on the serial number and catalog number. You guys are AWESOME!

I just took a few "after" shots, but couldn't get great shots. However, you can see most grunge is gone. I think this is a really nice lathe.

Thanks again.......

The ways even near the HS look like they still have the original scraping, couldn't find a deal like that in my area and I looked for months.
Appears to be "plug and play" for that machine - you have every reason to gloat!

Back