South Bend 10K (I think) "Tool Gloat"

jster1963

Active User
Registered
I bought a new (to me) South Bend lathe from Craigslist. I think it is a 10K. The catalog number is CL0370ZD. On the ways I found the serial number 34601 K. Also, I found a model number DDB-101NK.

It came with two 3 jaw chucks, a faceplate, a lantern tool post, a live and dead center, and a boring bar holder. So not a ton, but the lathe is in such a nice shape, I think it is well worth the $600 I paid for it. Please be gentle with me if it was not a good deal;-)

I thought I had before and after cleaning pictures. I guess it I only had that in video. This is a before picture. It really cleaned up nicely!

If you want to see it in action, I posted a youtube vid.
http://youtu.be/xp6P2OmpvvQ

Lathe gloat pic.jpg

Nice score bro. I think the price is spot on (that what I see them for around here) Keep us posted on ant clean up and progress.

I bought a new (to me) South Bend lathe from Craigslist. I think it is a 10K. The catalog number is CL0370ZD. On the ways I found the serial number 34601 K. Also, I found a model number DDB-101NK.

It came with two 3 jaw chucks, a faceplate, a lantern tool post, a live and dead center, and a boring bar holder. So not a ton, but the lathe is in such a nice shape, I think it is well worth the $600 I paid for it. Please be gentle with me if it was not a good deal;-)

I thought I had before and after cleaning pictures. I guess it I only had that in video. This is a before picture. It really cleaned up nicely!

Great score! It turned out very well. Are you going to use the lantern tool post or thinking about a QC?

Can I have your used towels? :))

jpfabricator: Thank you. Will do....

drs23: LOL! Those used towels are spoken for.....the trash can;-)

Thank you guys very much. It runs like a champ! I'll try to keep the post up to date.......

It's a ** same as mine. EDIT: It's a 10K just like mine.
I think you got a great buy if the ways are in good shape.

Last edited:

That is a South Bend 10K. This model had a "K" suffix in its serial number. Serial number 34601K was built in 1977, according to _Serial Number Reference Book_ , 11th edition. The serial number list photos that Cheeseking kindly posted look like they came from this reference. Catalogue number CL370ZD is a 10K with the cabinet base and a 3 1/2 foot bed and flat belt drive giving 12 spindle speeds. The bench model (only) of the 10K was also available with a 16 speed horizontal V-belt drive as well as a flat belt drive. (From a South Bend 10K brochure I have dated 3/78.) I don't think the V-belt drives were so common. I think that for $600 you did very very very well.
David

That is a South Bend 10K. This model had a "K" suffix in its serial number. Serial number 34601K was built in 1977, according to _Serial Number Reference Book_ , 11th edition. The serial number list photos that Cheeseking kindly posted look like they came from this reference. Catalogue number CL370ZD is a 10K with the cabinet base and a 3 1/2 foot bed and flat belt drive giving 12 spindle speeds. The bench model (only) of the 10K was also available with a 16 speed horizontal V-belt drive as well as a flat belt drive. (From a South Bend 10K brochure I have dated 3/78.) I don't think the V-belt drives were so common. I think that for $600 you did very very very well.
David

That's odd a couple of years back I was told mine was a 9A.
Catalog # CL370ZD ser. 40490K
Looks like I was informed wrong.
It also explains why the taper cross feed I got for ir looks wrong.

That's odd a couple of years back I was told mine was a 9A.
Catalog # CL370ZD ser. 40490K
Looks like I was informed wrong.
It also explains why the taper cross feed I got for ir looks wrong.

I'm not sure that at first glance it would be really easy to tell the difference between a 9A and a 10K even side by side. Well the headstock, tailstock and cross slide/compound castings would be a bit higher on the 10K compared to the 9A. My South Bend literature indicates a swing over saddle wings of 9 1/4 inches for the 9A and 9 15/16 inches for the 10K. The spindle hole on the 9A is 3/4 inches and for the 10K it's 27/32 inches. I think the 10K has a key in the tapered part of the spindle bore to engage the 6K collet this model used. The collet fit directly in the spindle; a sleeve was not used. (Maybe someone can confirm this). Production of the 9A and the 10K overlapped for a number of years. The 9A of course was already being made in 1952 when the 10K series started. The 9A was discontinued in 1969 and the 10K was last made in 1987. Your serial number 40490K would have been built in 1984. From 1947 to the end of production of the series, serial numbers for the 9 inch South Bend ended in "N". This information is from _Serial Number Reference Book_. I've used the terms "9A" and "10K" somewhat loosely here. Both the South Bend 9 inch and the 10K were made in models "A" (with quick change), "B" (change gears but with power cross and longitudinal feeds) and "C" (no power cross feed, power longitudinal feed by engaging the half nuts.) I think that the "B" and "C" versions of the 10K are pretty rare.
David

Maxx, old_dave, shawn: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I knew someone would know this lathe! I started my research, but wasn't having a lot of luck on the serial number and catalog number. You guys are AWESOME!

I just took a few "after" shots, but couldn't get great shots. However, you can see most grunge is gone. I think this is a really nice lathe.

Thanks again.......

lathe after 1.jpg lathe after 2.jpg

jster, I hope you don't mind my posting these in your thread.
This is my 10K

10-16-13-1.jpg

I've just started adding a DRO.
I will change the bracket set-up for the read head later when I add the taper attachment I plan to build.

10-16-13-2.jpg

I see your switch has a handle, mine has a knob and may not be original.

Switch.jpg

This is the taper cross feed I plan on putting on soon, I bought it thinking I had a 9A.
It looks to fit but looks different than some others I have seen.

TaperCrossFeed.jpg

My side cover is a cast piece and I paid close to $100 to get the dial thread indicator that is not in my pic.

10-16-13-1.jpg

10-16-13-2.jpg

Switch.jpg

TaperCrossFeed.jpg

Back