South Bend 10 Heavy push button switch and relay wiring help needed!

Racingki

Registered
Registered
So I’m inherited a used lather from my dad that I think he got while being in the Air Force. From what I’ve found I’m pretty sure it’s a South Bend 10k Heavy on the original rolling cart. I have decent electrical knowledge when it comes to wiring houses from start to finish but limited when it comes to actually wiring motors, reversing relays etc. The forward/stop/reverse switch is the push button style and looks to be original, would like to keep it as original as I can. There is not drum switch on it anywhere. I temporary wired up a simple on and off switch for forward only on 110/120. I can confirm the motor on it is capable of forward and reverse. I’ll see how many of the pictures I’ve taken I can find , I can take more photos if need be. Thank you in advance for any help!IMG_5507.jpeg

Attachments

• 67068721753__91D52A25-0160-4AF0-9E76-62281896175A.jpeg
    67068721753__91D52A25-0160-4AF0-9E76-62281896175A.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 24
Those old Allen Bradley starters rarely give up. It looks original and intact.
What are you hoping to perform?

What happens with the old system? Nothing at all? Have you checked around the contactors for loose/broken wires?
So you verified the motor runs currently on 120 volts? How many horsepower? Can you post a close up of the motor terminals and/or dataplate?
That orange thing is (I think) an isolation transformer- one of the first things to check and label the wires as to in and out
-Mark

Last edited:
Those old Allen Bradley starters rarely give up. It looks original and intact.
What are you hoping to perform?
When I got it half the wires were disconnected and I have no idea where they go, so not even sure where to start to wire it up to see if it works. I’m currently wired with a basic on and off switch to the motor.

I would like to try to wire it all back up and see if I can use it with those push buttons controls.

I’m just learning to use the thing, grew up watching my dad work on his, so I have some basic understandings, and am one of those people who can learn anything in a very small amount of time (taught myself CAD when I was a teenager when it was first coming out in the 90’s lol)

Last edited:
What happens with the old system? Nothing at all? Have you checked around the contactors for loose/broken wires?
So you verified the motor runs currently on 120 volts? How many horsepower? Can you post a close up of the motor terminals and/or dataplate?
That orange thing is (I think) an isolation transformer- one of the first things to check and label the wires as to in and out
-Mark
Ok, I’ll take some more pictures tomorow, I have it wired for 110/120 and yes the motor works fine running forward, haven’t tried wiring it to run reverse.

Ultimately would like to get it back to 220/240, cause my understanding is that is required to have the forward and reverse function work?

-Mark
So let me clarify what I was trying to say earlier lol, so when my dad gave it to me, he got it and it was just wired up with a simple 110 plug to run it (no switch, just simply plug it in and it’s on). When I got it you had to start spin the motor, I found the capacitor on the motor was bad so replaced it and then installed a simple on and off switch for the power to the motor so I didn’t have to plug and unplug to run it and stop it.

All the wires that are there now are all that were there, the wires going to and from the electrical cabinet from the switch were all just hanging in the cabinet. There were no wires going from the cabinet to the motor, and no wires going out for power input. Also there is not schematic anywhere on it, im sure there probably was one on the electrical cabinet cover at one point but I don’t have it.

I’m assuming most these relays require power into them to even test, so I’m at a loss at where to start to try and wire this back up to even see if it works. Would love to keep it that way, but if it’s a lost cause I will end up going to the drum switch option.

Last edited:
OK. First off, you don't need 230 volts to reverse it
Being as how it's only a 1/2 HP it should run fine on 115 (which is probably how it's wired now)
Not sure if I can ID the input and motor wires but give me a little time to study it- I've helped a bunch of members with their wiring issues
You might try doing some searching on the net for a diagram- it would speed things tremendously-not a lot to go on here
If we could even ID the contactor model it would help puzzle it out
I'm wondering the condition of the contacts on those old relays- they may be pretty well burned up by now

Last edited:
I don't think I'm going to be able to help you with that- I've looked and looked and can't find any info anywhere on that system
Frankly it would be easier to draw up a diagram and install two new contactors with the old pushbuttons if you wanted a retro look
Hopefully someone with that same machine will chime in on the hookup

Last edited:
Back