Sources of METALS for your stockpile for projects?

I didn’t see this mentioned yet so I’ll add my favorite source. We have a couple of fab shops in town. They will let you dig through their cutoffs and buy at scrap prices. Cheap and you know what you are getting. Once you get to know the guys in the shop and if they are interested in your project sometimes they will make scrap for you.

That chart says COLD ROLLED STEEL is 1070????? I don't think so!!!

AISI 1070 is a hot work carbon steel, to be worked at or above 1850f. It may be drawn while annealed however, if you should want some wire.

Cold rolled steel ,the common type,is very low carbon,like .18% or higher,but now where approaching the .70% mentioned. That figure is into the range of W1.

I get most of my steel stock from a local metal dealer who saves the "bits & pieces" for me and i pay a little over scrap price for it. My aluminum ,stainless etc. comes from the cnc machine shop my son works in. rounds under 12" long and misc "drops and left overs.
Most larger production shops order stock to match the job and any leftover is "scrapped" and goes in the scrap bin.
My son gathers up drops that look useful and offers to pay scrap $$ for it, and the price is usually free.!
life is good

I'm getting to be pretty good buds with the guys at my local metal supermarket. I mostly buy from the "drops room",which they guys usually just let me fill my arms then say "5 bucks", "15 bucks" "20 bucks" or whatever as long as I bring cash.(It goes in the lockbox...I watched LOL they just price off the cuff.) And I usually get some "learnin'" about different metals for free! Next time I go in I'm gonna have a box of donuts, They're big boys and I'm pretty sure they like "fried bread"....can't hurt on the deals I get:whistle: Todd

It always sort of aggravated me to hear people refer to "Cold Rolled" as though it was a grade, or a reference to a specific alloy. Like Dalee said, that's just a method of finishing the metal. Not all materials are available as cold rolled, but some are, and often the surface finish and roundness, straightness, etc., is good enough to use as is. That's why it is offered. If you plan on machining the OD anyway shouldn't waste money on it. Most materials are also available in other forms considerably cheaper.

My friend in Fort Worth gets me all the cast iron I want;)

My other buddy here in town has all of the 4145HT I want too! Most of it is too big to knaw on, but what the heck, it's free!

Midway Iron & Steel in St. Cloud Minnesota. I used to get my stock from Discount Steel in Minneapolis ...

Ed,

Does Midway have a "drops" area similar to what Discount has? And any idea what the price is. I was at Discount a few weeks ago and it was 55 cents a pound for drops.

Thanks,
Arvid

Back