Sources For Shim Material....?

I'm practicing turing grooves in aluminum with a rear mounted parting tool. As mounted, it's not perfectly on center and I need to shim the holder. What's a good economical source shim material. My first thought was to purchase an inexpensive feeler gauge and use the appropriate blade as a shim. Is there a better material to use?
That is exactly what I did. Went to Harbor Freight and bought a half dozen feeler gauge sets and took them all apart and store the leaves in a tube. Been using these on my CNC lathe for a couple years.

For me, it's the feeler gauge for the win. Being that I have several duplicate feeler gauges, one will be dedicated to tool post shimming duty. Footnote* This is the first time that a solution to an issue didn't cost anything.

Thanks for everyone's input!

It would help if we knew how much shim is needed.

Beer can is that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a propensity for using smaller tools than what the machine is designed for, especially on the Taiwanese lathe. In most cases, I use folded up metal roofing for the gross shims, anything over .020. It's only the small, last little fitter piece where shim stock comes into play. I have a large quantity of brass shim stock, 6 inch wide rolls that I acquired as sheet stock, for .003 and .013. And a (cheap) feeler guage for fine tuning.

Shims don't need to be "shim stock", any sheet stock of appropriate thickness becomes a shim when it is used for that purpose. The only "proviso" being that the material is flat or square so the tooling is held at the proper attitude. I often use roofing metal (commercial) that has been folded and hammered flat for "spacers". In electrical work, I have used a sliver of a coin (copper penny) as an electricaly conductive shim.

Soda cans work great and even tinfoil if you need to go super thin. Dirt cheap end you can quench your thirst.

Soda cans work great and even tinfoil if you need to go super thin. Dirt cheap end you can quench your thirst.
Same here. I've got a few cut up Coke cans, measure .004". Also have a pack of brass shim stock for when I get carried away.

Back